We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Outer Reef Worth Visiting?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
409 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Outer Reef Worth Visiting?

I will be spending some time on Lizard Island next month and I was wondering if I should still plan on visiting the Outer Reef when I come back to Cairns? I'll be able to do some great snorkeling on Lizard Island and to be honest, the long boat trip to the Outer Reef from Cairns kinda scare me since I get seasick pretty easily. At the same time, I don't want to miss seeing the Outer Reef if it's really worth all the trouble of getting there.

What do you guys think?

Mentioned in this post
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
400 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Outer Reef Worth Visiting?

If I was staying on Lizard Island, would do the outer reef from there, some of the best reefs are in that vicinity, and trip to outer reef will take less time as you'll already be part way there.

Townsville...
Level Contributor
1,059 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Outer Reef Worth Visiting?

If you want outstanding visibility go "outer".

Cairns
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Outer Reef Worth Visiting?

Lizard Island is reported as having some of the best snorkeling available on the barrier reef. You are so lucky to be spending time there! If you want to go out to the outer reef when you get to Cairns, the shortest journeys are from Port Douglas. Quicksilvers Silver Sonic has got the thumbs up from visitors who stay with us. anti-seasick pills may help! and its definitely worth the trouble.

Mentioned in this post
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Port Douglas
Port Douglas
Queensland, Australia
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
409 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Outer Reef Worth Visiting?

Thank you!

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Outer Reef Worth Visiting?

We took Silverswift (same company but different style tour than Silversonic). They made a big point of saying if anyone felt seasick to let them know as soon and early as possible. They would offer suggestions and medicines to help but they needed to know early. They also said hiding out in the lavatories was the worst thing to do.

We don't get seasick and the water and boat were smooth so I didn't see anyone else have problems. Point is, the boats are fast and have stabilizers and the crew is aware and helpful to anyone who's seasick.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Outer Reef Worth Visiting?

SilverSonic out of PD is a great trip, visiting three different sites in the one day.

I also get seasick. The best thing you can do is take the seasickness tablets about 30 minutes before you set off and you may need to top up again after lunch depending on how you're feeling. As soon as you start to feel even slightly sick, take a tablet. It is much worse waiting to see if it will pass and getting progressively worse. Eat smaller meals and don't drink excessive amounts of water. For me in particular, if I have too much liquid sloshing around in my stomach it makes my seasickness worse.

Don't let it deter you from doing an outer reef tour. You'll be fine.

7. Re: Outer Reef Worth Visiting?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2010, 13:17