We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 nights in Cairns

Dublin
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
5 nights in Cairns

Were stopping off for 5 nights in Cairns as part of our Honeymoon in Jan 2010, staying in Kewarra Beach Resort. I have heard it is the wet season then is there any chance we might be able to take a trip out to the reef. Also we'd love to see the rainforres & surrounding areas, any suggestions for what trips we could take while we are there, were both fairly fit so activity tours would also be suitable. Thanks for your help

Mentioned in this post
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Kewarra Beach Resort & Spa
Kewarra Beach Resort...
1,189 Reviews
Kewarra Beach, Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,900 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 nights in Cairns

Sharmaon trips to the reef will be running so you won't have any difficulty finding one. Yes it is the wet season but don't let that put you off. a number of years ago I went up to Cairns/ Port Douglas for a week at this time of the year and had a great time. We found that often it poured in the afternoon but the rest of the day it was great (typical of the weather in many tropical place).

I grew up in Townsville and you could often have days on end with no rain but again you could be unlucky and run into a week of rain but don't let it put you off. Cairns is a little wetter but it does not usually rain for weeks on end unless it is a very wet season. The rain is warm!!! and you will still be able to swim.

Are you looking for organised tours or are you willing to hire and drive a car yourself? The Atherton Tablelands are great for a day trip and heaps to see apart from Kuranda and the Skyrail/ train combination.

South of Cairsn it is possible to go whitewater rafting on the Tully River if that sort of activity takes your fancy.

Mentioned in this post
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Port Douglas
Port Douglas
Queensland, Australia
Townsville
Townsville
Queensland, Australia
Atherton Tablelands
Atherton Tablelands
540 Reviews
Cairns, Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 nights in Cairns

There's nothing like seeing the rainforest in the wet. We were up in Cairns surrounds for a week in Feb 08 and loved it. As Kameka said, the humidity builds up during the day and the rain generally comes bucketing down in the late afternoon/evening.

It certainly won't stop you from heading out to the reef, so definitely take a day trip out there.

The Atherton Tablelands are definitely a must - crater lakes, curtain tree fig and, of course, the waterfall circuit. The waterfalls are really flowing this time of year because of all the rain, and the forest is such a bright green - spectacular!

Skyrail/Kuranda is well worth it http://www.skyrail.com.au/

If you are into the white water rafting your can head to Tully or you can also do it as a half day on the Barron River near Cairns. Check out: https:/… We combined Skyrail and Barron River white water rafting into a full day of activity.

Mossman Gorge and Cape Tribulation is another full day trip that worth doing.

And I'm also a big fan of Paronella Park, stopping at Josephine Falls and Babinda Boulders along the way.

Crystal Cacades near Cairns are a pretty but short walk. Mostly the cascades are a fantastic place to cool down on a hot summer day.

Here's my Traveller List for Cairns surrounds: tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i16655-Great_si…

Mentioned in this post
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Atherton Tablelands
Atherton Tablelands
540 Reviews
Cairns, Australia
Mossman Gorge
Mossman Gorge
1,815 Reviews
Daintree Region, Australia
Josephine Falls
Josephine Falls
263 Reviews
Cairns, Australia
Babinda Boulders
Babinda Boulders
287 Reviews
Babinda, Australia
Dublin
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 nights in Cairns

Thanks so much for all your tips. My fiance is really eager to try whit water rafting I'm a little hesitant as I get sea sick & I'm afraid being thrown around on a boat might not end well for me!! We don't mind hiring a car or taking a tour, we had not decided which was better, does anyone have an recommendations. Were staying in Kewarra beach resort so were not in the Centre of Cairns. Thanks for all your help

Mentioned in this post
Kewarra Beach Resort & Spa
Kewarra Beach Resort...
1,189 Reviews
Kewarra Beach, Australia
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 nights in Cairns

Sharmon1, I get seasick too but white water rafting didn't bother me in the slightest. Feels more like a rollercoaster ride than a boat trip. :-)

5. Re: 5 nights in Cairns

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2010, 13:18