We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cairns in September

Prague/Melbourne
1 post
Save Topic
Cairns in September

Hi everybody,

we are planning to spend about 2 days in Cairns during our Australian trip in September this year.

Besides the snorkelling trip to the Reef, what else is a must to see in Cairns & around?

After Cairns, we will continue by car along the coast to Sydney, so we really look for something that we cannot find somewhere else.

Thanks for tips

Jana

Seabob Jet Australia - Reef Magic
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Eco Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Falla Reef Trips
Boat Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling
Dive 7 Seas
Scuba & Snorkeling
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
409 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cairns in September

You could take a day to do the train ride to Kuranda and then the Skyrail back. And on another day you could visit Daintree/Cape Tribulation.

Port Lincoln
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cairns in September

Do you have 2 full days?

Why are you staying for such a short time? There is so much to do in & around Cairns & 2 days will hardly do it justice.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cairns in September

You could easily fill up a week in this area. Check out my Traveller List: tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i16655-Great_si…

I guess with only two days then your must-dos are the reef (which you've already said you're doing) and the rainforest.

Mossman Gorge and Cape Tribulation are lovely and can be done as a day trip. Or you can opt for Skyrail to see the rainforest from above (if you don't have a whole day).

The Atherton Tablelands are worth a look (if you had more time) - crater lakes, waterfall circuit, general stunning scenery.

On your drive down the coast also consider stopping in at places like Josphine Falls and Babinda Boulders. These are both not far off the main road on your way to Innisfail.

Mentioned in this post
Atherton Tablelands
Atherton Tablelands
535 Reviews
Cairns, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,742 posts
1,704 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cairns in September

September is a lovely time to experience Cairns and the region.

Kuranda / Daintree National Park / Port Douglas / Cape Tribulation / Northern beaches - Palm Cove - Trinity Beach - Ellis Beach - Four Mile Beach etc.

If you are driving along the coast from Cairns to Sydney click on the thread below. It will give you heaps of suggestions on what to see and do.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i18251-Brisbane…

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i18947-Getting_…

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i17608-South_St…

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255055-c3001/Austral…

Happy travels,

EM ☺

Mentioned in this post
Palm Cove
Palm Cove
Cairns Region, Australia
Trinity Beach
Trinity Beach
Cairns Region, Australia
Ellis Beach
Ellis Beach
Cairns Region, Australia
5. Re: Cairns in September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 January 2010, 13:17