We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cairns or Whitsundays

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
29 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Cairns or Whitsundays

It's been on our bucket list to visit the Great Barrier reef. Is Cairns or the Whitsundays more accessible to great snorkel and potential scuba?

I'm fairly active and my wife is more the lay around beach person. So hopefully there is a place that attracts both.

We are also looking to take no more than four days/three nights so want to ensure we see all sites possible. Please provide recommendations for either.

Mentioned in this post
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
847 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cairns or Whitsundays

Hi chikai, you will need to give a little more information to get any decent replies. Eg. what time of the year? Luxury or budget? Seriously though, in 4 days/3 nights you are not going to see much at all. Can't you squeeze in some more days?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
31,041 posts
1,928 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cairns or Whitsundays

If depends on what time of the year you are planning to visit/ ??

Whitsundays - July / August / Sept. are absolutely beautiful at this time of the year.

More details would be welcomed.

EM.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
29 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cairns or Whitsundays

Looking to go in November. Is that a good time to go?

Will I have to hire a car to get to all the destinations?

Looking at middle of the road budget. I have a place in mind to stay, but just thinking what are there to do there.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cairns or Whitsundays

For snorkel/scuba the Far north is far better. The Whitsunday are a different experience though I would not say a good Great Barrier Reef experience. A far betetr island/sailing destination.

Mentioned in this post
Whitsunday Islands
Whitsunday Islands
Queensland, Australia
Reef Experience
Reef Experience
3,005 Reviews
Cairns, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
31,041 posts
1,928 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cairns or Whitsundays

Its the start of the Stinger Season in Nov..which means you need to wear a stinger suit if swimming in the ocean. See additional info www.marinestingers.com.au

As Verdant mentioned the Whitsundays are perfect for sailing / snorkeling experiences whilst Cairns has the more attractions close at hand.

Port Douglas / Great Barrier Reef / Daintree NP / Cape Tribulation / Kuranda etcetc...which is great for combining a reef / beach / sightseeing holiday.

In November I would opt for Cairns / Port Douglas.

Mentioned in this post
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Port Douglas
Port Douglas
Queensland, Australia
Daintree
Daintree
Daintree Region, Australia
Cape Tribulation
Cape Tribulation
Daintree Region, Australia
Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cairns or Whitsundays

Sorry did not see the November bit. Best time out on a boat due to hardly any wind however beaches are affected by jellyfish so for one activity best time but for beaches not good. They close the beach November whether there are any stingers or not. This year so dry maybe no stingers until January but they err on the side of caution.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
847 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cairns or Whitsundays

Hi Chikai,

I agree Cairns/Port Douglas/Palm Cove is probably your best option for a short stay. What or where is the place you have in mind? If you can afford to hire a car I would definitely do so. Is much easier to do so from the airport and return there then you don't have to worry about transfers.

Mentioned in this post
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Port Douglas
Port Douglas
Queensland, Australia
Palm Cove
Palm Cove
Cairns Region, Australia
8. Re: Cairns or Whitsundays

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2010, 14:20