We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

straight to Thala or Cairns stop-off?

Cardiff
Level Contributor
265 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
straight to Thala or Cairns stop-off?

We are flying into Cairns for our honeymoon and were going to head straight to a resort eg. Thala. It has been suggested to us that it might be worth booking into a cheaper place in Cairns for a few nights first to get over the jet lag and maybe do a tour from there (we arrive at 7am local time!), then heading to Thala for a few nights to experience it, rather paying for a resort to sleep through the first couple of days. Any suggestions?

I've haven't been on a long-haul trip before so I've no idea how bad the jet lag will be!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Mentioned in this post
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: straight to Thala or Cairns stop-off?

Hard to say, I tend to think that is what resorts are good for..sleeping in! Very quiet at Thala though some noise at night from some type of animal, maybe the turkey. Palm Cove is a nice honeymoon setting though doubt any cheaper than Thala.

Mentioned in this post
Palm Cove
Palm Cove
Cairns Region, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
31,041 posts
1,909 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: straight to Thala or Cairns stop-off?

If your arriving at 7am you are best to head straight to Port Douglas or Thala. However, you would need to book the room for the previous night to be able to walk straight into your room.

Most hotels have a 2 - 3pm checkin time. The only way you can walk straight in is paying for the extra night or e-mail them to ask for a early checkin.

Its approx 1hr drive north of Cairns - you need to catch the shuttle bus / hire a car / or taxi.You should have that organized before your arrival.

Mentioned in this post
Port Douglas
Port Douglas
Queensland, Australia
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,657 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: straight to Thala or Cairns stop-off?

That all depends on whether you want privacy or a fun time before Thala. As said above, Thala is very private, remote and secluded so if you want to try some experiences (white water rafting, sight seeing, clubs, restaurants, pubs) then stay in cairns but perhaps on the way out. ?

"Jet lag'" is different for different people... I have never ever suffered from it as I always try to keep my body clock attuned to the time I am heading to.. ie you arrive at 7am... then sleep on the plane as much as possible and stay awake if you can all day.. crash out early evening and you should be fine the next day.. ie: no jet lag. The worst thing is to try to adhere to your "home" body clock.. Use the time on the plane to acclimatise to where you are heading to.. both on the outward trip and the return trip home. You may find you arrive at 7am feeling great.. if that's the case then stay awake and sleep at our normal time. you may sleep in the next day a bit but that's what honeymoons are for ! Head to Thala, relax and perhaps party a little on your outward leg?

Cardiff
Level Contributor
265 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: straight to Thala or Cairns stop-off?

Thanks for the info. I should be ok to stay awake right through, I'm not a great sleeper at the best of times! We thought of booking the previous night but as Thala is pretty expensive I wondered whether to book a cheaper couple of nights somewhere first.

We do want a few nice chilled out days, although most of our holidays are pretty active so we plan on seeing Kuranda, Daintree, Reef etc. We'll leave the partying til we get to Sydney.

Mentioned in this post
Daintree
Daintree
Daintree Region, Australia
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
5. Re: straight to Thala or Cairns stop-off?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 March 2010, 14:21