We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it still ok to go to Cairns in early January?

Adelaide
1 post
Save Topic
Is it still ok to go to Cairns in early January?

Hi there,

I am planning a family trip to Cairns from the 4-8 of January 2010 and I am worried what the weather would be like and whether the trip will still be enjoyable. I intend on staying in a hotel with airconditioning and a big pool. Should I be worried about it raining all day or there being lots of cyclones in this time? I have been to Cairns before in mid December and remember it being ok but that was about 5 years ago. It was nice all day and then rained for about two hours every afternoon and then was beautiful again. Can anyone who has been there or lives in Cairns help me out please?

Thank you,

Cheryl

Mentioned in this post
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
8,435 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it still ok to go to Cairns in early January?

I tis the wet season in Cairns at that time of yerar so it is likely that there will b estorms every day. It is alos possible that there could be cyclones at that time of year but who can predict at this stage.

Mentioned in this post
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,906 posts
1,834 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it still ok to go to Cairns in early January?

Its rather difficult to say what the weather will do. Cairns in January is iffy regarding rain and cyclones. I have been up in Dec/ Jan and we had lovely weather...I guess its in the hand of the Gods..

Mentioned in this post
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it still ok to go to Cairns in early January?

Maybe ok this year as they predict a late start to the wet season and lower rainfall than average. Prediction though. Early January can be similiar to December at times so maybe this year will be one of those times. Cyclones generally bit later though small possibility.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,926 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it still ok to go to Cairns in early January?

Chezlac as others have said no one can predict the actual weather for a set period.

I have been in Cairns a couple of times in January. The weather did not stop me having a great time and it did not rain all the time, or in fact everyday.

You may be lucky or unlucky- but isn't that the same for anywhere you might visit.

Mentioned in this post
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
5. Re: Is it still ok to go to Cairns in early January?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 March 2010, 14:21