We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reef trip and fire balloon trip in Cairns/PD

China
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Topic
Reef trip and fire balloon trip in Cairns/PD

I plan to spend 3-4 days in Cairns and Port Douglas.

My plan for day trip for Reef. And half day for balloon trip. If anyone could give me some suggestion,which island I should choose for reef trip. Any company for Reef trip and Balloon trip with good price you could recommend? I don't have dive licence...I also want to know the average price for those two trip? Thanks so much in advance

Mentioned in this post
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Port Douglas
Port Douglas
Queensland, Australia
Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reef trip and fire balloon trip in Cairns/PD

Cocopan, The reef is in open water. Few islands on the reef itself and they are quite difficult to access.

Snorkelling gives a great experience for coral and fish as the reefs come up very high close to the water surface so no need to dive to have a great experience.

Visitng the reef ranges from about $120 to $220. Intro or certified diving will cost over that.

Choices are vast. If you like to touch ground during the day you can do a combo cay and outer reef trip. If you are a little nervous then a pontoon maybe better. If you want the full on outer reef then there is options for that as well.

Research what appeals to you.

Examples.

Passions of Paradise - Cay and outer reef $140.00

Reef Magic - Pontoon $175.00

Silverswift - Outer reef only, fast new boat - $165.00.

Give or take reef tax which seems to vary between 45 and $10.

I have no clue on ballons, for me they are birthday party favours not a mode of transport :)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
20,420 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reef trip and fire balloon trip in Cairns/PD

Hot air balloons tend to combine with other land based stuff for a good bargain..

We went with Hot air but if you wanted to combine for a cheaper package then you;d go with raging thunder to whitewater raft.

IMHO..

Balloon Hot Air

Whitewater Raging Thunder and the reef should be done with the reef guys..

( I am aware Hot Air have now linked up with Quiksilver and you save $15...not so good IMHO..I'd rather choose a really good smaller reef trip)

China
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Reef trip and fire balloon trip in Cairns/PD

Thanks so much, it really helpful. I do get a clear plan for how to plan my Cairns trip. Thanks again^^

Mentioned in this post
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
4. Re: Reef trip and fire balloon trip in Cairns/PD

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 March 2010, 14:16