We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiring a car as a 23 year old P-Plater

3 posts
Hiring a car as a 23 year old P-Plater

Hey there!

My sister and I are going to Port Douglas for a holiday from 23-28 June. We're staying at Paradise Links which we are aware is a fair way out of the town. But we do know that Paradise Links has a shuttle which runs to and from the town for $10 return.

It seems pretty expensive to hire a car but wondering if any other P-Platers had experience with this and could recommend a decent company? I'm 23 years old and would be the one driving if that is of use.

We were hoping to visit the Daintree Rainforest too. Are there any public buses that take you from PD to Daintree Rainforest?

Thanks so much,

Georgia

5 replies to this topic
Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
498 posts
10 reviews
1. Re: Hiring a car as a 23 year old P-Plater

Hertz, East Coast and Redspot will rent to P Platers - conditions apply. None of these companies have depot in Port Douglas so would need to rent out of Cairns.

3 posts
2. Re: Hiring a car as a 23 year old P-Plater

Thanks Garry! Already had a look through all of those... Hoping someone might have suggestions from experience with some smaller companies that might be more cost effective

I've been recommended to use Under21CarHire.com but not sure how trustworthy the site is.

Should've waited to book my holiday until after I reached my P's in November :(

Cheers!

3 posts
3. Re: Hiring a car as a 23 year old P-Plater

As an update - we booked via Cairns Unlimited. They were super helpful and much cheaper than everyone else! Highly recommend :)

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
4,381 posts
92 reviews
4. Re: Hiring a car as a 23 year old P-Plater

I don't think it's Ps so much as being under 25. My daughter wanted to hire a car in France. The cost almost halved if she picked the car up on Friday rather than Thursday. She turned 25 on the Friday. There was no consideration that she was 25 for 9 of the 10 days of hire, either - the only thing that counted was her age on the day she picked up the car.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
75 posts
60 reviews
5. Re: Hiring a car as a 23 year old P-Plater

I believe Apex (in Cairns) will rent to under 25s. Not sure about if you are still a p-plater.

Reply to: Hiring a car as a 23 year old P-Plater
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted