We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where/When to go to see as a large variety of fish

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
1 post
37 reviews
Save Topic
Where/When to go to see as a large variety of fish

We're planning a holiday by family in Brisbane and would like to take a trip to GBR for about 5 days. We'll be travelling by car.

First I need to know what time of the year is it clear viewing underwater

Then where would you suggest if the best places for snorkelling where you can see a lot (I have an 8yr old daughter who swims very well)

I see there are reefs all along the coast right up to Cairns and I see the tours are all from Cairns. Are there various places along the coast where one can access some good reefs?

Are all the reefs only accessible by boat?

Lastly, my son and I last scuba dived in 2010. How strict are the charters there. Would we need to do a refresher course?

tia

3 replies to this topic
Wollongong...
Level Contributor
1,427 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where/When to go to see as a large variety of fish

Have you checked distances. By car, that would be a nightmare trip. And you'd have no time to see anything.

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
2,012 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where/When to go to see as a large variety of fish

The closest to Brisbane would be Lady Elliott Island. Cairns is 2000km away.

Daintree, Australia
Destination Expert
for Daintree
Level Contributor
1,093 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where/When to go to see as a large variety of fish

Definitely consider flying to Cairns where the reef is much closer to the coast than the southern reefs like Lady Elliott. If we drive from Cairns to Brisbane we take 3 days each way to be 'comfortable' but it's still a lot of driving and lots of it extremely boring.

From Cairns or Port Douglas there are heaps of full- and half-day reef tours - for the best coral and fish-viewing make sure you go to the Outer Reef. Some boats only take you to small islands and sand-cays inside the reef - pleasant and you can see some marine-life and coral snorkelling off the beach but not nearly as good as the outer reef.

Best to avoid the rainy, stinger season, from about late October through to April/May. During our busiest winter months - June-Sept - possibly best to book in advance but other times you can see what the weather's doing (you really do need light winds and plenty of sunshine for best viewing) and book last-minute.

Others may be able to advise re scuba regulations.

Edited: 07 January 2017, 07:15
Reply to: Where/When to go to see as a large variety of fish
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted