We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Snorkelling possible if we dont know to Swim?

Mumbai, India
11 posts
Save Topic
Is Snorkelling possible if we dont know to Swim?

Hello

I would like to know is it possible to do snorkelling at Great Barrier Reef if we dont know swimming, We are a couple and going to Hamilton Island for 3 days. Was planning for a 1 day tour to GBR for Snorkelling

Please help me with my query

Regards

Vishal

Mentioned in this post
Great Barrier Reef
Great Barrier Reef
Queensland, Australia
Hamilton Island
Hamilton Island
Whitsunday Islands, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7,444 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Snorkelling possible if we dont know to Swim?

No. If you have no experience or competence, even at a basic level, it would be extremely irresponsible and stupid to snorkel. Take a glass bottomed boat.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
10,461 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Snorkelling possible if we dont know to Swim?

Agree with Bokhara. You don't need to be great swimmers. It you do need to know how to swim. Flotation aids can only do so much

3. Re: Is Snorkelling possible if we dont know to Swim?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 28 January 2017, 03:59
New Delhi
Level Contributor
301 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Snorkelling possible if we dont know to Swim?

I went to the GBR 20 years back when I did not know how to swim and jumped into the water with a vest. To be fair, I had tried to learn swimming when I was a kid so I was not completely new to the water and was not uncomfortable.

I don't really know if it was irresponsible of me but it opened up so much for me - I am now in the process of becoming a certified diver.

I would advise you ( if you have the time ) to go to an instructor at a nearby pool and get in as many sessions as you can.

It's an opportunity you do not want to miss.

melbourne
Level Contributor
2,962 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Snorkelling possible if we dont know to Swim?

A non-swimmer describes her experience of snorkelling on the GBR in this recently posted trip report

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g25…

Edited: 28 January 2017, 17:05
6. Re: Is Snorkelling possible if we dont know to Swim?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 January 2018, 13:16