We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions on whether to do Great Barrier Reef at all

New Jersey
Level Contributor
206 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
Questions on whether to do Great Barrier Reef at all

Going to visit my daughter studying abroad in Sydney late Feb. Been looking for a weekend jaunt for Friday am till Sunday pm. She's already doing many things with the school and also over a school break with friends in March.

We just thought about doing GBR as it looks amazing. Was looking at best way to get there and where to stay for 2 nights (unless we go Thurs night after her class). On the forums I'm reading that Feb is the absolute worst time to take a trip there due

Our original plan was fly Sydney to Cains and then ferry to GBR. Or to fly Sydney to Townsville or Magnetic Island and then on to GBR but stay in one of those towns.

Can anyone provide some direction?

4 replies to this topic
Apeldoorn, The...
Level Contributor
3 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions on whether to do Great Barrier Reef at all

I'd stay in Cairns over Townsville.

I use to live in Townsville and spent a lot of time in Cains. It's a beautiful place.

Definitely do the Barrier Reef and go snorkelling or diving. You won't regret it.

Maggie Island is good for a day.

Bombala, New South...
Level Contributor
988 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions on whether to do Great Barrier Reef at all

It can still be done in feb just accept that weather might or might not be good and wear stinger suits. Don't swim in beach off cairns. Tours usually supply stinger suits. Wear them.

Oz
Level Contributor
13,112 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions on whether to do Great Barrier Reef at all

Hi,

In Feb I would forget the tropics and go to Lady Elliot Island. You don't have the cyclone, wet season and stinger season issues but you do have excellent snorkeling and diving.

Fly Sydney to Brisbane and then a puddle jumper from Brisbane (Redcliff) to Lady Elliot Island.

ladyelliot.com.au/content/…

Cheers,

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
1,980 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions on whether to do Great Barrier Reef at all

LEI is really beautiful and a great suggestion, no issues with weather and stingers. A happy medium may also be the Whitsunday Islands like Hamilton Island, gets you onto the main outer reef, not as far north as Cairns, plenty of activities on the island as well. It is, however, expensive (think NY 5 star vs Vegas) and the stingers will still be about, so no beach without a stinger suit, but the resort pool is huge and has a bar to help you get over that :)

Reply to: Questions on whether to do Great Barrier Reef at all
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Great Barrier Reef