We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alternatives to Hamilton Island from Brisbane?

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
129 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
Alternatives to Hamilton Island from Brisbane?

Hi!

Thinking of a 4-5 days trip to Hamilton Island when we are visiting Brisbane for two weeks. Seems quite convinient with the direct flights from Brisbane to Hamilton Island. The island looks quite ok, maybe not a paradise, but ok! Accomodation seems quite pricy.

Are there any good alternative islands you can recommend us, that would fit a for a 4-5 days long trip out of Brisbane, located along the east coast or barrier reef somewhere? We have a rental car and are willing to drive somewhere and take a ferry to an island, or to fly from Brisbane to an area on or near a nice island :)

Criterias: Scuba diving, snorkelling, beach, pool.

Best regards

Alex

6 replies to this topic
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
8,007 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alternatives to Hamilton Island from Brisbane?

You could consider Tangalooma at Moreton Island - dive the wrecks, hand feed dolphins, and only a short ferry ride from Brisbane.

You could also fly to Cairns, stsy in Port Douglas and explore the wonderful Daintree Rainforest s well as dive the outer reef.

You dont say what time of year - FNQ has desdly stingers in the water from October to April, so you can dive with stinger suits on, but you cant swim off the beach unless wearing a suit too.

Lady Elliot Island would be another worthwhile destination - it has a small pool, but the attraction of LEI is the diving/snorkling right on the island edge.

Cheers.

New South Wales...
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alternatives to Hamilton Island from Brisbane?

So many islands, the more convenience you demand the less amazing it will be.

York, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
7,347 posts
1,604 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alternatives to Hamilton Island from Brisbane?

If it doesn't need to be an island then yes, Port Douglas could be an option.

Otherwise I suggest you look into Lady Elliot Island. You can drive to Hervey Bay and maybe fit in a trip to Fraser Island too (though that isn't for snorkelling/scuba). HB is the main departure for Lady Elliot Island.

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
129 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alternatives to Hamilton Island from Brisbane?

This trip will be in mid may, so Im not sure if the weather will be hot enough in Brisbane area to really enjoy the water/beach/sun etc. Trip doesnt have to be 4-5 days, it could be as long as 6-7 days as well.

Have been thinking already of Port Douglas yes, as i doesn't have to be an island really. Seems very nice and has convenient day trips to the reef.

I will look into the tips, thank you all! And if you have any more tips on locations - keep em coming :D

Surfers Paradise...
Level Contributor
768 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alternatives to Hamilton Island from Brisbane?

I was going to suggest driving down to Byron bay which is about 2 hours from Brisbane, however in may it may not be warm enough to be swimming each day.

I would suggest up around port Douglas too. Just be aware once you get north of the Sunshine Coast is. Noosa there are no waves so there is no real waves. There are also stingers which you need to be careful of.

Are you able to travel at a different time of year or maybe change your expectations of being around the beach/surf

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
8,007 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alternatives to Hamilton Island from Brisbane?

If you are from Stockholm, I'm pretty sure you will find our day time temps in Brisbane region very summer-like.

Many of us swim year round here, and in May, day time temps should still be around 23c during the day. Early morinings and night times will be down to 14c, but water temps are good and it should be sunny and still.

Cheers.

Reply to: Alternatives to Hamilton Island from Brisbane?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted