We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help: Do we need to book in advance for GBR liveaboard?

TORONTO
Level Contributor
123 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
help: Do we need to book in advance for GBR liveaboard?

We are couple willing to visit GBR area for about 5 days during early Nov.

I haven't book anything yet, I am thinking to go with 2D1N or even a 3D2N liveaboard to outer barrier for snorkeling and diving(OW). I wonder if I should book ahead or I can go there and book for the next day?

I've heard good things about Deep Sea Diver Den, are there other companies that you would recommend for this kind of tour? I am on a budget.

this is my itinerary for GBR area

Day 1 fly from Sydney to Cairns , explore the town and book the tour for next day

Day 2 GBR

Day 3 GBR

Day 4 GBR or anything else if go with only 2D1N

Day 5 Daintree National Park

any suggestion would be appreciated, thanks!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10,119 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help: Do we need to book in advance for GBR liveaboard?

Why not book in advance ? You are flying all the way to Cairns with the chance of missing out on a diving tour (and you may arrive when the tour is out on the reef).

TORONTO
Level Contributor
123 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help: Do we need to book in advance for GBR liveaboard?

I was thinking that will give me some flexibility if the weather is not good, I might choose to do something else.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10,119 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help: Do we need to book in advance for GBR liveaboard?

Contact the dive companies and see what they say (although they will probably say you need to pre-book).

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,669 posts
1,612 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help: Do we need to book in advance for GBR liveaboard?

As mentioned contact the operators to ask about their cancellation policy regarding weather conditions etc...

Its a busy region regarding tourists so booking is always advisable.

TORONTO
Level Contributor
123 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: help: Do we need to book in advance for GBR liveaboard?

many thanks :)

will try to contact operator and I guess that they would still want me to pre-book the tour to confirm the seat first .

Malaysia - Fiji
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: help: Do we need to book in advance for GBR liveaboard?

You are coming a long way from Toronto. The short trips to the Outer Barrier Reef are suitable for beginner divers or people with limited experience. if you are an experienced diver, don't expect to be blown away by the diving there. The real world class diving of the GBR is in the Coral Sea - that's where experienced divers go when they visit Cairns. If it is your only option to go to the Outer Barrier Reef, fair enough, but I would advise you manage your expectations.

7. Re: help: Do we need to book in advance for GBR liveaboard?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 November 2017, 13:16
Get answers to your questions about Great Barrier Reef