We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great hotel and great diving in outer GBR

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
37 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Great hotel and great diving in outer GBR

I am interested in diving in the outer GBR and prefer not to do a live a board. What is the best combination of a really nice hotel and great diving?

Will any outside dive companies pick you up at lizard island resort so you can be assured of daily diving there?

Thank you for your help!

Oz
Level Contributor
12,876 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great hotel and great diving in outer GBR

Hi,

I doubt if you will find anyone who has stayed in them all but Thala in Port Douglas is very comfortable and there are excellent dive operators that depart PD. We have also stayed with family at the Sea temple which is excellent too but it's serviced apartments not a resort.

With regards to Lizard I plain don't know but would be surprised if the resort's operators allow dive charters that aren't paying a fee/lease to operate from there.

Cheers,

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9,338 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great hotel and great diving in outer GBR

Lizard island is 20 miles off the coast and 90 miles to Cooktown so I doubt any outside dive operators will pick you up for a dive - why not use the island facilities ?

www.lizardisland.com.au/Diving-Options.aspx

Alternative is to stay in Port Douglas and access the reef from there.

And when are you there - after November you are in the low season due to weather.

3. Re: Great hotel and great diving in outer GBR

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2017, 13:15