We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long to stay at the great barrier reef

London, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
How long to stay at the great barrier reef

Hi everyone,

Im going to Australia from mid november to beginning of december and i really want to see the great barrier reef. How long do you think i should spend there? How long does it take to see the GBR?do you know any good company?what else to see over there?where do you recommend to stay (im a girl travelling on my own)? Thank you in advance!

Oz
Level Contributor
12,887 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long to stay at the great barrier reef

Hi,

>>How long do you think i should spend there? <<

How long can you tread water ?

>>How long does it take to see the GBR?<<

It's over 2,300 klm in length. How long will depend on your mode of travel.

>>do you know any good company?<<

Yes. Are you looking for investment advice ?

>>what else to see over there?<<

Over where?

>>where do you recommend to stay (im a girl travelling on my own)? <<

What sort of accommodation are you looking for ?

Cheers,

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6,385 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long to stay at the great barrier reef

Your post suggests 2 weeks in Australia. Is that correct?

Assuming you know November & December aren't ideal months for the GBR, I'm sure you'll have a good time anyway.

Where else are you going? What else do you want to see & do while you're in Australia?

Responses to your query about suggested length of time in FNQ will depend on those factors.

Generally speaking though, I'd allow 4 -5 days.

1 for the reef - go with Wavelength.

1 for the Daintree if the weather is ok

1 for Cairns/Port Douglas & points in between. Possibly Kuranda.

1 for a trip to the Atherton Tablelands.

There are lots of tours - just have a look at the information centre when you get there.

Or google Visit the GBR & see FAQs here.

Booking.com will show accommodation options - also have a look at the hostels websites as most of the youngsters seem to stay in those.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9,355 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How long to stay at the great barrier reef

Port Douglas (fly to Cairns) is a small resort town with access to reef (full day trip on Wavelength cruises) and rainforest (full day trip), beach (but stinger season so can't swim in ocean), good accommodation, pubs, restaurants, marina. Needs at least 2 full days.

Cairns is much bigger and a admin centre for the area (airport, hospitals, cruise ships, no beach, lots of tourists). There are backpacker places here.

Airlie Beach (fly to Proserpine or Hamilton Island) is more of a backpacker places with sailing cruises (party boats) to islands, limited beach. Reef is a bit limited.

As above, how are you getting around and what else do you want to see ?

One suggestion is to arrive and straight away connect to a flight to Cairns and get over jet lag near a beach/reef/rainforest then fly south to Sydney or wherever.

Without knowing your interests (beach, partying, cities, nature) and budget (fly, bus or drive) it's a bit hard to suggest anything for you.

4. Re: How long to stay at the great barrier reef

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 November 2017, 13:15