We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Southern ocean lodge or 2 day tour

New York City, New...
1 post
Southern ocean lodge or 2 day tour

My friend and I will be visiting KI in August. We have 2 nights/ 3 days. We do not have a car because we don't feel comfortable driving on the opposite side of the road. Which means we need to hire a tour company. We would love to see the highlights and lots of wildlife :) One option we stay in southern ocean lodge which offers some excursions included in the stay or do we join a tour company which does 2 day 2 night tour. The prices are comparable. Does anyone know if we follow the excursions included in SOL would that give us the highlights and make it the optimal stay? If we use a tour company, which one do u all recommend for the most fun and wildlife filled adventure and which accomodations would u recommend. Any or all help is appreciated.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
13,728 posts
49 reviews
1. Re: Southern ocean lodge or 2 day tour

The cheapest rooms at Southern Ocean Lodge are going to cost you a total of $3960 (prices are per person and they have a 2night minimum) PLUS your airfares of around $400 each.

I don't know what tour companies you are looking at but I suspect you can get a 2 day tour for way less than that. For instance this one sealink.com.au/kangaroo-island-tours/day-tou…

Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,668 posts
105 reviews
2. Re: Southern ocean lodge or 2 day tour

I can also recommend Craig Wickham

http://www.exceptionalkangarooisland.com/

Georgia
Level Contributor
676 posts
14 reviews
3. Re: Southern ocean lodge or 2 day tour

Hi Sue,

Welcome to Tripadvisor! I'm going to Kangaroo Island myself next year which is why I was checking this forum... so I can't give you advice about tours. But for what it's worth, my husband and I have traveled to other places where they drive on the left side, and have rented a car ... and you actually get used to it really quickly. In a relatively small, uncrowded place like Kangaroo Island, I expect it would be not stressful at all. I wouldn't let that alone stop you from deciding to rent a car.... just something to think about :-) p.s. would love to hear how your trip goes since we aren't going until 2014. Cheers!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,369 posts
51 reviews
4. Re: Southern ocean lodge or 2 day tour

I'll second what Georgia said...my husband and I visited Australia a few years ago, and in Queensland we definitely needed a car. We're going to Adelaide/Kangaroo Island/Barossa Valley for 8 nights in December, and again we're renting a car. We won't use a car in Sydney - we didn't on the last trip either - but outside of the big cities, touring Australia without a car is like trying to tour the US without a car...it's just not set up that way.

We live in Manhattan and I actually cannot drive (!!), so the burden falls to my husband. We've gone to a few places now where he's had to drive on the left, and like Georgia says, he soon got used to it. Renting a car will give you much more freedom and flexibility, so please do think about it! :)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,726 posts
186 reviews
5. Re: Southern ocean lodge or 2 day tour

just remember that a lot of the roads on Kangaroo Island are not bitumen but dirt. Makes driving a bit more difficult but not impossible. Just need to drive slower

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
6. Re: Southern ocean lodge or 2 day tour

personally I think it's more difficult driving on the 'wrong side' in uncrowded conditions than in busy ones.

u have to really keep your wits about you at all times esp when that oncoming car suddenly appears around a bend on a narrow unmarked road..

having said that it takes concentration, lower than normal speed and no tourist gawking and think it's worth the effort.

Edited: 22 June 2013, 08:09
7. Re: Southern ocean lodge or 2 day tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2014, 12:16
Get answers to your questions about Kangaroo Island