We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I stay in two locations?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Should I stay in two locations?

Hi, I am going to Kangaroo Island with my family - husband and 2 kids aged 15 & 17 in January 2014 for 10 nights. Is there a central location that we can stay at for the whole time which is near a good beach or is it better to go to two locations on the island? If so, where would you suggest. I have noticed there are mixed ideas on this. My kids love the beach so if we went to two locations they would have to both be near good beaches. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Kangaroo Island
Kangaroo Island
South Australia, Australia
Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,132 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I stay in two locations?

I would go to two locations. It is a large island and there's a lot to do, so shifting bases would save you a lot of driving.

Oz
Level Contributor
14,377 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should I stay in two locations?

Hi,

Absolutely but not at the same time.

Cheers,

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,915 posts
1,854 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should I stay in two locations?

Hi,

You can just stay in one place on KI as its very easily get around the island with a car without a problem. You may be more suited to renting a house on the beach on KI. We stayed at Kingscote which was very handy for us. See my TR link below..

tripadvisor.com/…20620773

I would suggest looking for accommodation first before deciding.

stayz.com.au/accommodation/sa/kangaroo-island www.wotif.com.au

Edited: 18 July 2013, 16:53
Mentioned in this post
Kingscote
Kingscote
Kangaroo Island, Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should I stay in two locations?

Would stay in kingscote especially for that long. The island is not that big and with the amount of tune you are spending overall will give you enough time. We rented a house in kingscote which gave us good space, easy access to supermarket, restaurants, shops but still gave us time to do relaxing drives in all directions without compromising on venues

Edited: 19 July 2013, 22:22
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should I stay in two locations?

Thanks for the advice. If we rented a house to Kingscote are there nice beaches nearby?

Mentioned in this post
Kingscote
Kingscote
Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,657 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should I stay in two locations?

I would rent a house in Emu Bay .. Kingscote is just down the road so easy to provision but Emu Bay has the lovely beach.

It's central and yes you can drive back but I have to say that if you want to make the MOST of the Island and be able to see Remarkable Rocks at Dawn or Dusk (optimum time) I would stay a night down the Western End. It's not ideal to be driving back from the Western End to Kingscote after a long day in the park so you could just split your trip and cover the eastern/central/ south western end in the first few days and then perhaps pack up the car to spend one night down the western end. ?

PS at the western end you won't find a beach near the park, the attraction is that youll be in the bush and surrounded by Kangaroos and wallabies. I think that Emu Bay and perhaps a stay at Westerk KI Caravan Park Cabins or the Wilderness Retreat would be a great family holiday. At one location you'll have the beach and the other you'll have the animals.

Mentioned in this post
Kingscote
Kingscote
Kangaroo Island Wilderness Retreat
Kangaroo Island...
584 Reviews
Sydney
Level Contributor
2,613 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should I stay in two locations?

I agree with TW_Yachtgal. During a 10 day trip you are likely to want to be heading down the western side of the island on more than one day, and you'll save up to 4 hours of driving by staying closer, and driving at dusk means driving slowly.

I'd avoid staying in Kingscote itself. It has no redeeming features that I can see, except as a supply point. There is a bit of history, but nothing that you can't see while there for supplies.

Emu Bay and similar areas are nice, but don't underestimate the drive to civilisation. Just down the road can still be an hour or so, round trip.

Mentioned in this post
Kingscote
Kingscote
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should I stay in two locations?

would also take into consideration as to what you consider long/short drives. We live in southern nsw so nothing for us to drive 3 hours or longer just for a dental/medical appointment. Often drive to Melbourne and back in the day so nearly 8 hours in the car so for country residents driving is usually not an issue. However I know city people that think half a hour drive in the country is tedious and long. So for me when I go on holiday is somewhere that I don't have to drive and can walk.

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
9. Re: Should I stay in two locations?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 July 2014, 14:24