We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather

Coffs Harbour...
Level Contributor
451 posts
168 reviews
Save Topic
Weather

We are spending the first 6 days of October on Kangaroo Island. The Bureau of Meteorology stats show that the average temp for Kingscote in October is 18.5.

Crazy question : is that a chilly 18.5 or a reasonable 18.5? Will swimming be likely? As always I shall pack layers but how warm should that outside layer be?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
137 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather

While the air temp would be pleasant I wouldn't recommend swimming in October on KI without a wetsuit as the water has not had enough time to warm up yet - next piece of land to the south is Antarctica so the water temp will still be quite cold. October can be a mixed bag so I would pack something reasonably warm as once the sun goes down the temp will drop quite quickly to around 10 degrees.

Coffs Harbour...
Level Contributor
451 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather

Thanks so much for your reply! I am a chronic over-packer and it is hard to get my mind around a cold spring. Our winter was so mild this year and our early spring temperatures are already high.

Stockton-on-Tees...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather

I've got a similar question. I am arriving in Australia on 23 Feb and leaving on 27 Mar. My plans are to travel between Sydney and Cairns. Am I best to travel north or south to keep with the sunnier/warmer weather?

Coffs Harbour...
Level Contributor
451 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather

Hi Dustbin Man,

you will do much better to post this under "Queensland" or "Australia". This is posted under Kangaroo Island which is much further south than your planned travels.

But basically the answer is that it will be more than sunny/warm for your destinations ... it will be hot and humid. And it will be hotter and more humid the further north you are (ie Cairns will be hotter and in "wet season").

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
137 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather

Hi Dustbin Man,

Feb is still summer here and March is the first month of autumn so the weather will still be warm to hot, however it will be very wet in Queensland, the NT and far north WA with the possibility of cyclones. Please consider this carefully when planning your holiday. To get the best out of your time here I wouldn't recommend heading north in Feb/March.

6. Re: Weather

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2014, 12:18