We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

This itinerary any good?

Sydney, Australia
2 posts
This itinerary any good?

Hi i am visiting KI in January 2014 for 3 days from Sydney with family (3 people)

Most of these things have been booked

Day 1:

Fly form Sydney to Adelaide (jetstar) 6.45am flight arrive 8.45

Pick up car (Ford at thrifty at 9ish

Drive to Cape Jervis in a 1.5 hr

Take the midday ferry to Penneshaw, arrival time around 1

hire fishing rod and drive to Kingscote, walk around buy food and stuff for the 2 nights

Drive to our accommodation, Kangaroo Beach lodge arrive around 4-5

Go fishing, relax and sleep

Day 2

Drive around the West side of the island such as middle river cove and the lighthouse. Also maybe visit places such as the honey farm and rap tor show if location is suitable and there is time. Come back to lodge, go fishing relax and eat and sleep

Day 3

Check out at 6ish, (after sunrise due to wildlife)

Drive to Penneshaw arrive at 8.30ish?

Park our cars somewhere in Penneshaw (Guys at the Kangaroo Beach lodge says its OK) hop on the sealink KI highlight tour at 9.30 be back around 6.30 and hop on the last ferry (The same ferry which i assume these 1 day tour people take so i shouldn't worry too much).

Drive back to Adelaide and drop car off before 11PM.

Take taxi to hotel near CBD and check in

Day 4

Explore Adelaide for a bit and take the afternoon flight back to sydney.

Concerns:

Dirt roads, western part of island is not as developed and there are dirt roads required to get to certain destinations. Thrifty said it was OK when I called them.

Parking rental car at Penneshaw:

Guys said there is parking at Penneshaw and its an island so should be OK?

Driving to Penneshaw on day 3 early in the morning? Should make it in time?

Wildlife: Its January and sun does go down til past 7?

What do you guys think?

Cheers

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
31,325 posts
2,118 reviews
1. Re: This itinerary any good?

Have you considered - Seal Bay / Vivonne Bay / Point Ellen / Hanson Bay / Flinders National Park

tripadvisor.com.au/…20620773

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,797 posts
29 reviews
2. Re: This itinerary any good?

Why do you want to join the Sealink bus tour if you are travelling by car?

You could easily do the tour on your own since Sealink only takes you (on sealed roads) to Seal Bay, the koalas at Hanson Bay and Flinders Chase. You could also visit Little Sahara and Kelly Hill Caves on the way then.

Have you considered flying to Kingscote from Adelaide and renting a car on the island?

adelaide
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
27 reviews
3. Re: This itinerary any good?

have you considered flying if you can get a reliable connection since you are at the airport anyway allowing for anything to happen with Jetstar or are they reliable

it is a very slow drive to Cape Jervis and not something that can be rushed if you are running late to catch the ferry

there is no reason to do the tour if you have a car and can do it at your leisure

I think your attention has been distracted by the thought of all the fish

Coffs Harbour...
Level Contributor
453 posts
177 reviews
4. Re: This itinerary any good?

Just back from 6 nights on KI. The dirt roads are not a problem, they are very well maintained. The absolute highlights of our trip were the National Parks. The boardwalks at Seal Bay and Admiral's Arch are awesome - not to be missed!

Sydney, Australia
2 posts
5. Re: This itinerary any good?

Hi, i hear to access seal beach you need to be with a tour.

And also, car hire on the island has a KM limit and wont allow you to drive on dirt roads since only budget and another company is no the island.

Coffs Harbour...
Level Contributor
453 posts
177 reviews
6. Re: This itinerary any good?

For Seal Bay you can choose between doing a guided tour and do-it-yourself on the boardwalk. There is an entry fee and then an additional fee if you do the guided tour. We did the do-it-yourself and it was wonderful! We got there early so we virtually had the boardwalk to ourselves and a handful of others. With the guided tour it goes in a group, so while you do get expert commentary, you are with a number of people. I believe you do get to go on the beach on the guided tour, whereas the boardwalk doesn't get you down there - but you are still very close to the seals.

Sorry about the hire car restrictions. We took our own car.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
13,766 posts
49 reviews
7. Re: This itinerary any good?

You don't need to be ON a tour to get onto the beach at Seal Bay. You need to take a ranger guided tour which you can buy individually at the Seal Bay Visitor Centre.

I use Hertz car hire on the island and they will allow you to drive on dirt roads if you hire a 4wd. It is true that they have a 120km free kilometre limit after that they charge 25cents per km

Edited: 19 October 2013, 11:38
8. Re: This itinerary any good?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2014, 12:18
Get answers to your questions about Kangaroo Island