We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tasmania in the winter?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Tasmania in the winter?

I'm going to Tasmania for six weeks (mid June-Aug). I would have loved to go during the summer, but it just didn't work out for us. Obviously 99% of all guidebooks assume you're going in the warmer months...is there anything I should know/expect about the Tasmanian winter?

devonport
2 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Tasmania in the winter?

hi remember that because of the mountains tasmania is quite hilly and take extra care of the icy roads especially with a caravan. born here lived 28 years left for mainland victoria now back after 10 years away. scenery still blows me away. different around every corner and there are a few

brunei
1 post
Save Reply
12. Re: Tasmania in the winter?

Me and the mrs shall also be visiting Hobart area during the winter .1st June ..we only have two nites.

We have a choice between crows nests apartments ar Louisa Cottage.

However there was a bad review of Louisa on a website posrted in Feb 2005. The mrs seems to be more attracted to the authentic historical settings of Louisa.

Crows nest apartments looked more "modern"

any one wish to advise any other alternatives $100-$150 per nite?

ellias@streamyx.com

Singapore
Level Contributor
40 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Tasmania in the winter?

Me & my friend will be visiting Hobart on the 2nd week of July and we have about 4 days there.

Any recommendations on where to stay? Preferably around AU$100-150.

Tentatively, I have only planned to go to Port Arthur and to explore within Hobart. Maybe drive up to Mt Freycinet. Haven't had any concrete plans as yet.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Tasmania in the winter?

I just wanted to let you both know that I've found some really helpful people on flyertalk.com. Those boards are a little more active concerning Tasmania! They would probably have some great suggestions!

Here is a thread about Tasmania:

www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php…

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,751 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Tasmania in the winter?

lifestyle78, try emailing directly. www.lenna.com.au and try for their apartments, Salamanca terraces.com.au

if you want a studio apartment, you can find within that price range, just explain what you are willing to spend.

I always haggle with them and get good results.

see what you can get,

good luck.

Sydney
Level Contributor
335 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Tasmania in the winter?

I went to Tasmania in April and nearly froze, however it is one of the most beautiful spots in the world. I went to a pick your own strawberry farm while I was there and they were the most awesome things I have ever eaten. And yes you feel so clean and crisp.....

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,751 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Tasmania in the winter?

yep it will be cold and fresh and crisp, but doesnt one expect that???

It is so beautiful there though, so I ignored my freezing status and enjoyed some lovely walks to keep warm.

Then had a few drinks infront of the fire at the hotel.

Bathurst, Australia
Level Contributor
52 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Tasmania in the winter?

Love tassie whatever season.... great place Zero Davey in Hobart or henry jones art hotel

www.foodandwinetrails.com.au/modules.php…

love the Huon Valley

and it snowed in November at cradle Mountain when we were there..

check out my site

www.foodandwinetrails.com.au

Deborah

australia
10 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Tasmania in the winter?

subang et al..

older style hotels - Lenna of Hobart (www.lenna.com.au)and the Award winning The Henry Jones Art Hotel, (this is newly converted jam factory. www.henryjones.com)

Lenna also owns Salamanca Terrace which are self contained apartments over the road from the Hotel.

Also The Islington who have recently spent a mil on renovations this is a private boutique hotel www.islingtonhotel.com

All of the above are more expensive but winter the rates go down.

I am not familiar with the Crows Nest and I apolgise in advance if I am incorrect but I think it maybe a house - from its address.

For a B&B go for The Clydsdale Manor or Amberley House both in Sandy Bay.

If you want a lower price bracket let meknow

20. Re: Tasmania in the winter?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2009, 22:19