We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

staying around wineries

Brisbane
Level Contributor
61 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
staying around wineries

HI Coming to Tasmania early May. Would anyone recommend a great wine region for us to visit and a place to stay?

8 replies to this topic
South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
30,216 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: staying around wineries

Tasmania's premier wine region is the Tamar Valley near Launceston.

Next is the Coal River Valley near Hobart.

Accommodation Launceston: https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Hotels-g25534…

Accommodation Hobart: https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Hotels-g25509…

Tasmania
Level Contributor
71 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: staying around wineries

Coal River Valley is about a 15 minute drive from the city

winetasmania.com.au/wine_trails/southern_win…

Tasmania
Level Contributor
71 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: staying around wineries

Coal River Valley is about a 15 minute drive from the city.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
30,216 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: staying around wineries

Wow! A current one. So twice. :)

Brisbane
Level Contributor
61 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: staying around wineries

THank you so much. Is that winery near Richmond?

Brisbane
Level Contributor
61 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: staying around wineries

HI Everyone,

My husband and I are travelling to Tasmania end of April for a week. It's our first time and we are really following the wine trail. We are going to Richmond and will do the Coal River Valley so therefore will base ourselves in Hobart.

However it would be great to take off and drive up the east coast!. I am thinking of only stopping for lunch in Either Swansea, Binochie or Cranbrook for lunch and continuing on to Tamar valley and stay up there for the night instead of mid way through.

Any suggestions would be most welcome. And thank you for the Coal River Valley referral.

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
13,746 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: staying around wineries

Hi Cleo,

>> THank you so much. Is that winery near Richmond? << I assume you mean the Coal River Valley, this is a wine region, there is a Coal Valley Vineyard, it's about a 15 minute drive south from Richmond.

>> However it would be great to take off and drive up the east coast!. I am thinking of only stopping for lunch in Either Swansea, Binochie or Cranbrook for lunch and continuing on to Tamar valley and stay up there for the night instead of mid way through. << this is to far not to stop at least midway, you should stop somewhere.

Safe travels - Robert

Edited: 05 March 2018, 11:10
Greater Melbourne...
Level Contributor
491 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: staying around wineries

There are several good wineries on the East Coast that you might like to visit. I like Milton Estate at Cranbrook, and also Devils Corner and Freycinet which are very close to each other at Apslawn. Devils Corner has a great cafe with beautiful views, so it's a good lunch stop. If you want accommodation at a vineyard, check out White Sands estate, near Falmouth. It has self contained units with amazing sea views, and is the home of Iron House Wines, one of the newer Tasmanian wineries, and also a craft brewery.

Reply to: staying around wineries
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Hobart