We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Resort driving distance from Melbourne?

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
177 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Resort driving distance from Melbourne?

Hi, We (family of four kids are 7 & 9) are coming to visit family in Melbourne for Christmas and want to add say 5 days on after this for relaxing by a pool. I realise Victoria isn't really resort land - but are there any resorts that are driving distance from Melbourne (or Geelong as thats where we will be) that we can relax at with two kids - essentially we want to lie by a pool - and ideally not super crowded, I really want to avoid New Years eve crowd spots. Last year we went to Fiji over New Years and it was amazing just totally relaxing and not super busy or crazy with New Years. Is there anywhere that might be like this?? Thanks so much for any help! Or should we just fly to brisbane and find a resort up there and then fly home to NZ from brisbane?

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Victoria
Victoria
Australia
Geelong
Geelong
City of Greater Geelong, Australia
The Dudley Boutique Hotel
The Dudley Boutique Hotel
#1 of 5 hotels in Hepburn Springs
Orbost Motel
Orbost Motel
#1 of 2 hotels in Orbost
Yackandandah Motor Inn
Yackandandah Motor Inn
#1 of 2 hotels in Yackandandah
6 replies to this topic
Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Geelong, Great Ocean Road
Level Contributor
7,533 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Resort driving distance from Melbourne?

I'm not sure what your definition of a resort is and the closest thing I can think of is caravan/cabin parks which are in prime locations and have their own swimming pools playgrounds and fully equipped self catering cabins.

On the Bellarine peninsula there are two Big4 cabin parks Beacon Point at Queenscliff and a newer one on Bellarine highway further afield there are others at Anglesea and Apollo Bay.

https://www.beaconresort.com.au/

https:/…bellarine-holiday-park

https:/…anglesea-holiday-park

http://piscespark.com.au/contact-us/

For cabin parks in other locations look at www.big4.com.au www.toptouristparks.com.au

At that time of the year you would want to be booking any sort of holiday accommodation now.

As a disclaimer I have no connection with the Big4 group other than I use the product where possible when doing road trips.

Edited: 13 June 2018, 15:12
Mentioned in this post
Queenscliff
Queenscliff
Victoria, Australia
Anglesea
Anglesea
Victoria, Australia
Apollo Bay
Apollo Bay
Victoria, Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,791 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Resort driving distance from Melbourne?

Peak holiday season across southern Australia (like NZ) so super busy. We don't really have those Fiji resort style places in Victoria. As Famrick has suggested maybe the bigger caravan parks, but even there you won't be ordering cocktails by the pool.

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Victoria
Victoria
Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,669 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Resort driving distance from Melbourne?

Agree, Victoria doesn't really do the resort thing but places in Queensland or NSW would be better suited to your needs, .e.g. Hamilton Island.

The closest thing to a resort in Victoria to me would be the RACV branded resorts (mainly new) .e.g Inverloch, Torquay and Cape Schank. But as mentioned, they won't be quiet as Summer is peak season and most people are on Summer holidays. https:/…racv-resorts.html

Mentioned in this post
Victoria
Victoria
Australia
Hamilton Island
Hamilton Island
Whitsunday Islands, Australia
Inverloch
Inverloch
Gippsland, Australia
Torquay
Torquay
Victoria, Australia
Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
6,058 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Resort driving distance from Melbourne?

"Last year we went to Fiji over New Years and it was amazing just totally relaxing and not super busy or crazy with New Years.' Agree with the others. I don't think you will find this in Victoria and especially around Christmas and New Year.

Mentioned in this post
Victoria
Victoria
Australia
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,312 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Resort driving distance from Melbourne?

Pretty sure most Victorians if they want a resort holiday would fly to Fiji or Noosa.

Mentioned in this post
Noosa
Noosa
Sunshine Coast, Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
10,420 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Resort driving distance from Melbourne?

You can fly from Melbourne to the Sunshine Coast or Gold Coast airports which would save you a bit of a commute - have a look at the RACV resort in Noosa, or just pick a serviced apartment in Noosaville (we like Munna Beach Apartments - nice pool and across the road from the river/beach/barbecues and ferry stop.)

You could also look at Caloundra (in which case fly in to Brisbane) Rumba Resort or Rolling Surf are good locations for a family.

Cheers.

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Sunshine Coast
Sunshine Coast
Queensland, Australia
Gold Coast
Gold Coast
Queensland, Australia
Noosa
Noosa
Sunshine Coast, Australia
Brisbane
Brisbane
Brisbane Region, Australia
Reply to: Resort driving distance from Melbourne?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted