We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Melbourne then a week at the beach ?

Sydney
Level Contributor
152 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Staying in Melbourne then a week at the beach ?

Hi we are driving from Sydney down the Hume highway to Melbourne in late Dec early Jan. We plan to spend a few days in Melbourne so hubby can see the cricket and then would love to spend a week or so at a holiday beachside area. There will be 6 of us including 4 kids 10-17. I realise that it will be expensive. I am familar with the places in NSW and QLD but am unfamilar with the best places to stay in Victoria. We dont mind driving a few hours out of melbourne but I am at a loss as to what areas to look in. The only place I know of is Lakes Entrance. Any ideas would be very welcomed. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Victoria
Victoria
Australia
Lakes Entrance
Lakes Entrance
Gippsland, Australia
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in Melbourne then a week at the beach ?

Your choices:

The Mornington Peninsula encompassing towns (suburbs) from Mornington to Sorrento on the bayside and then on the surfside to CXape Schank then round to Westernport (Hastings)

Have a look at Google Maps to get an ideas of location. Places like Rye are very popular because you have access to both bayside beaches and the backbeach (surfside).

There are lots of holiday homes to let in the area which would be ideal for a large group.

rent-a-home.com.au/accommodation/…

mornington-peninsula-accommodation.com.au/GA…

might help. Otherwise just try googling.

The other popular beachside destination is the Surf Coast - from Point Lonsdale to Apollo Bay.

surfcoastrentals.com.au/bookings/index.php…

stayz.com.au/accommodation/…torquay-surfcoast

Being Xmas it won't be cheap - and being nearly November it won't be easy either. So decide and book soon!

A third option is to stay in Melbourne and experience the bayside beaches from South Melbourne around to Frankston. The one good thing is that these beaches are easily accessible by public transport and most have licensed cafe's right on the sand. Sipping a glass of wine while watching the kids frolic is a rather pleasant way to spend a few hours. :)

As a Sydneysider you will probably won't be overly impressed by the beaches themselves - and they certainly don't compare to Sydney's beaches but OK for taking a dip and cooling off.

Oh yes, almost forgot - Philip Island also has some nice stretches of sand - and penguins too!

Mentioned in this post
Mornington Peninsula
Mornington Peninsula
Victoria, Australia
Rye
Rye
Mornington Peninsula, Australia
Apollo Bay
Apollo Bay
Victoria, Australia
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,620 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in Melbourne then a week at the beach ?

Lakes Entrance is a good option & could be a stopover if you drive back to Sydney via the coastal route.

If you are looking for something closer to Melbourne, Phillip Island has more to offer than just the beach. Mornington Peninsula has quite a few beachside towns as well as wineries, golf & the Hot Springs. The Bellarine Peninsula & along the GOR also have lovely towns such as Queenscliff, Barwon Heads, Torquay, Anglesea, Lorne & Apollo Bay. Warnambool or Port Fairy could also be options, even though they are a bit further.

Have a look on www.visitvictoria.com.au for more info about these areas to see which appeals to you the most.

I'm sure you realise that the beach areas will be busy, but there's usually more activities for kids then. Make sure you book as soon as you know where you want to go.

Mentioned in this post
Lakes Entrance
Lakes Entrance
Gippsland, Australia
Sydney
Sydney
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Phillip Island
Phillip Island
Victoria, Australia
Mornington Peninsula
Mornington Peninsula
Victoria, Australia
Torquay
Torquay
Victoria, Australia
Lorne
Lorne
Victoria, Australia
Apollo Bay
Apollo Bay
Victoria, Australia
Port Fairy
Port Fairy
Victoria, Australia
Melbourne
Level Contributor
387 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in Melbourne then a week at the beach ?

I would go for phillip island - lots to do regardless of the weather. surf beaches and bay type beaches available - plus some nice places to eat. The kids can keep busy with the carnival, crazy golf, games arcade etc if need be. Then you have the penguins, pelican feeding at san remo and lots of twilight walks, rockpool rambles etc run by the parks department (?)

All in all a great destination!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying in Melbourne then a week at the beach ?

I personally wouldn't go for the Mornington Peninsular. I love it down there, but so do most Melbournians in the east for whom it's an easy drive to their holiday homes. As the others have said, everywhere will be busy but the seasonal yuppie content of the MP just puts me right off.

Mentioned in this post
Mornington Peninsula
Mornington Peninsula
Victoria, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,742 posts
1,692 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying in Melbourne then a week at the beach ?

Another vote for Sorrento - fab family beachside destination on the Mornington Peninsula..

We stayed at the Sorrento Hotel Apartments which are attached to the hotel & found them to be excellent.

hotelsorrento.com.au/sleep/on-the-hill-famil…

Mentioned in this post
Mornington Peninsula
Mornington Peninsula
Victoria, Australia
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
71 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying in Melbourne then a week at the beach ?

You have some great suggestions already and I'm another who will jump in and suggest the Mornington Peninsula. I live on the Peninsula so I am probably a little biased, but I think it is probably the best spot to meet your needs.

I'm actually a Sydneysider but we have lived down here a couple of times over the past several years due to my husband's work. Before we lived here we had a nice beach holiday at Rosebud and I would suggest other spots that have already been mentioned such as Sorrento and Rye. Mornington and Mount Martha are always popular too. Further south around Rye and Sorrento you will have the option of spending time on the bay beaches which are quite flat or heading to the back beaches which are better for surfing.

As others have suggested, it will be busy and there will be many from Melbourne who head down to their holiday houses at that time of year, particularly around Sorrento and Portsea, but you are from Sydney so you would know all about busy! It's similar to if you went and spent time over summer up on the Central Coast or Forster for example. More people and cars on the road but not unbearable.

Some of the Great Ocean Road towns would also be nice - Lorne, Anglesea, Apollo Bay etc. We spent a week travelling around the area a couple of years ago and enjoyed all these towns, but we went in Autumn when it was very quiet and cold and there was definitely no beach-going. They will be packed in Summer.

Phillip Island is another popular choice, although I have never stayed there myself.

I have stayed at Lakes Entrance and it was nice enough, but I would choose the Mornington Peninsula or one of the Great Ocean Rd towns in preference to there.

I've usually used www.stayz.com.au to book holiday houses when we have travelled. I would certainly be booking something soon, as no matter what area you choose, nicer places will certainly book out quite early.

Enjoy the holiday!

Mentioned in this post
Mornington Peninsula
Mornington Peninsula
Victoria, Australia
Rye
Rye
Mornington Peninsula, Australia
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Sydney
Sydney
The Great Ocean Road
The Great Ocean Road
6,097 Reviews
Torquay, Australia
Lorne
Lorne
Victoria, Australia
Apollo Bay
Apollo Bay
Victoria, Australia
Phillip Island
Phillip Island
Victoria, Australia
Lakes Entrance
Lakes Entrance
Gippsland, Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,786 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying in Melbourne then a week at the beach ?

BrawBlether - I live on the MP & know what you mean ! - it was great weather on the weekend and I had to line up at my local coffee shop..... Our little shopping strip in Mount Martha was inundated !

I guess it is the same in all popular areas, so as Ellenwillow recommends book as soon as you decide.

There is heaps to see on the Mornington Peninsula and if you stay Sorrento or Portsea way you can also get the Queenscliffe ferry over to the Bellarine Peninsula & do a day trip.

Toss of the coin because if you stay the other side of the bay you can also visit some places on day trips and there is the Great Ocean Road.

All these places will be busy during summer.

If there is a large group of you (6) look at Stayz as per RachelfromOz's link. Being in a holiday house area I know that prices are much lower this year - high Aussie dollar mean people are heading OS instead of holidaying at home, but you will still need to snap a good place up quick.

Mentioned in this post
Mornington Peninsula
Mornington Peninsula
Victoria, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
20,110 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying in Melbourne then a week at the beach ?

I suppose the real question that we northern habitants don't always consider is...do you want beach ie strip of sand bside the water...which most of the time I like if the water had fish and snorkelling, my teenagers hate...unless they can dive

or do you want surf,,,,which my teenagers love but I'm hohum unless it's a good body surf

I'd never pick a MP beach (apologies guys...too European) but love the rolling curvesof places like Torquay, Barwon heads etc ( I need rubber)

Now one thing the MP beaches have the I really love are those cute beach houses/shacks/dressing boxes which give atmosphere and ambience

Mentioned in this post
Torquay
Torquay
Victoria, Australia
Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying in Melbourne then a week at the beach ?

Ah now Guruswife, you clearly haven't checked out the MP back beaches!

10. Re: Staying in Melbourne then a week at the beach ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 06:16