We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Information Hitch car rental company?

Malmo, Sweden
4 posts
Save Topic
Information Hitch car rental company?

Hello.

Has anybody on this forum rent a car from Hitch?

What was your experience?

Thanks in advance....

29 replies to this topic
Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
10 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Information Hitch car rental company?

Right so I can't seem to post the picture link, but it's basically an old banged up Nissan Tiida which also had fuel tank problems and needed refueling every 140 kms, which as you can imagine in South Island was a royal pain. We had to stray from our itinerary so many times to find a gas station, just to ensure we had enough fuel. It stranded us a couple of times and Hitch was unreachable by call or just wouldn't reply back to mails. Also, they gave us our car 2 HOURS late on our arrival day with the excuse that it wasn't ready yet. Which kind of explains the whole subleasing and junky old car rentals.

Mentioned in this post
South Island
South Island
New Zealand
Gold Coast Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Information Hitch car rental company?

Yes, I did in June last year. Excellent value for money. Obliging staff.

1 post
Save Reply
13. Re: Information Hitch car rental company?

Rented an 8 seater from Hitch Auckland for 5 days. Arrived at Auckland Domestic Airport and caught the Hitch shuttle to their car base then got the car and drove off. Hassle free, very happy with the vehicle we got. It was perfect for our needs. No trouble at all. Drove back and forth daily from Avondale, Grey Lynn, Mangere, Otahuhu to Bucklands Beach even out to Hamilton and back. Returned the car to the base before hopping on to the Hitch shuttle and back to Domestic Airport at the end of trip. No probs. Will definitely be using Hitch rentals again :)

Mentioned in this post
Auckland
Auckland
North Island, New Zealand
Mangere
Mangere
Auckland, New Zealand
Hamilton
Hamilton
Waikato Region, New Zealand
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
18 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Information Hitch car rental company?

Hi gardengnome2018,

Can I ask which branch you hired the car from?

Thanks in advance.

Edited: 24 February 2018, 10:34
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Information Hitch car rental company?

Rented from hitch today. Fraud car company. Beware!! I booked online with full insurance(through kayak). When i went to counter to pick up, they made me sign $2000 deposit if any damages. I showed them that i had prepaid for full insurance. They mentioned that insurance i bought is from third party and they don't honor it. If any incidents, i have to apply for reimbursement with obline booking company. Total fraud. Beware.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,761 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Information Hitch car rental company?

That is Kayak's problem, not Hitch's. The Hitch Terms and Conditions say "A security bond equal to the applicable excess will be held." You'd have the same problem with any hire company when you rock on in with insurance from a third party, and some would require a hold on your card for (or even make you pay) much more. The sort of problem you encountered is what often happens when you don't book directly - intermediaries screw things up and take no responsibility. If you went through Kayak because they were cheaper than booking directly, then that's really on you - you got the level of service paid for.

4 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Information Hitch car rental company?

Disaster. The car was a filthy junk (see photos) and way older than what it was booked. They ruined our evening, I wasted time to find another car and we were late to friend's pre-wedding dinner. In Queenstown, they have garage-like mickey mouse set up.

Mentioned in this post
Queenstown
Queenstown
Otago Region, New Zealand
4 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Information Hitch car rental company?

Disaster. The car was a filthy junk (see photos) and way older than what it was booked. They ruined our evening, I wasted time to find another car and we were late to friend's pre-wedding dinner. In Queenstown, they have garage-like mickey mouse set up.

Mentioned in this post
Queenstown
Queenstown
Otago Region, New Zealand
Perth, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Information Hitch car rental company?

Where's the photo you mentioned Sebastian? Opps..meant to be a reply.

Edited: 28 March 2018, 10:42
Perth, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Information Hitch car rental company?

Where's the photo you mentioned Sebastian? What car did you rent from Hitch?

Reply to: Information Hitch car rental company?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted