We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Health insurance for non-citizens

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
194 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Health insurance for non-citizens

We two retired US citizens plan to visit New Zealand for 3 months next year. We have purchased traveler health insurance from our country in the past, but have heard that we can purchase limited period health insurance in certain nations for emergency possibilities. We are in good health and can provide current doctor's reports. Where can we get reliable info about such insurance? Thanks for any leads.

Mentioned in this post
New Zealand
New Zealand
South Pacific
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
38,804 posts
432 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Health insurance for non-citizens

You need to buy travel insurance in your own country as in an emergency you would want to be flown "home" or might need follow-up treatment at home after your trip.

The overall cost of the insurance is partly based on the cost of treatment in NZ but partly on the cost of repatriation & costs in the USA.

NZ has universal coverage for accidental injury (you cannot sue) but this coverage does not continue once you leave the country.

Hingham...
Level Contributor
17 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Health insurance for non-citizens

You can buy travel insurance from your home country or and international plan. The benefits provided and the quality of the provider is more important than which country you buy it in. Obviously, cost is a factor but these plans are typically very affordable. I would not focus on buying a plan simply for cover in one country. You may want to travel to another country while abroad and should be covered globally, including for short trips back home.

A helpful article on Quora: https:/…Is-travel-insurance-really-necessary

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
811 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Health insurance for non-citizens

You don't say if you're on Medicare, which doesn't cover foreign travel except in certain Canadian and Mexican situations. Supplements with Foreign travel coverage are capped at $50,000(USD) lifetime.

One solution that's reasonably priced is a program offered by United Health Care:

uhcglobal.com

I've used this one several times, never had to file a claim ;-)

In my opinion travel insurance is a poor investment since the higher end credit cards issued in the US cover many travel related insurance situations. Unexpected illness is always a concern, so you're wise looking for coverage.

While you're legally in NZ accidents and subsequent care (only while in-country) are covered by their ACC program. Once you leave NZ your own insurance (assuming you have health insurance in the USA) should pick up the costs incurred in the US.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
9,087 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Health insurance for non-citizens

While NZ has a first world hospital system repatriation is not important because care maybe inferior here or any other country you are visiting, but because you will recuperate better surrounded by family and friends and a familiar language and surroundings. It is really expensive as you will need to be flown business class and be accompanied by a medical professional.

Cost can go into the 10's of thousands.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
811 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Health insurance for non-citizens

Mike,

While I don't disagree about an evac costing thousands, I think you'd agree your example is an extreme case. I don't think they'll put you in Business Class with a medical professional for a broken arm. However, a cardiac event might warrant extraordinary care and transportation.

I belong to a diving organization where the membership dues of $55 for the family includes $100,000 evac coverage, accident or illness..

With any evacuation coverage, it's the issuing firm that makes the travel decision in coordination with the on-site doctors and their own doctors.

I know of a couple of extraordinary cases where the patient was put on an air ambulance, with a nurse, and flown, across the Atlantic, $$$$$$$$$$$$. One was paid by his employer the other by travel insurance.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
9,087 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Health insurance for non-citizens

That"s quite valid Been there Before. However we buy insurance for extreme cases. If only trial stuff was possible many of us would carry the risk.

A friend broke her leg in Vancouver. Medical insurance paid for her and an other to come back in lie flat (business class) so the "other" could assist her with getting into and out of seats etc. This was an airline requirement.

Insurance is where you are "betting" a known cost against an unknown cost.

7. Re: Health insurance for non-citizens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 July 2018, 12:17