I'm helping my little brother with his first NZ trip in the coming May and would like to hear your opinion on how to improve this itinerary:
Day 1 (2pm arrival at Auckland): Auckland
Day 2: Auckland to Hobbiton, Glow Worm)
Day 4: Rotorua, Auckland (any suggestion?)
Day 6: Te Anau, Milford Sound
Day 7: Milford Sound, Queenstown
Day 10: Arthur's Pass, Christchurch
Day 11: Christchurch (full day)
1. Is the itinerary too rushing or too slow? Can it be improved? (which places to add, which not to spend too much time in, more scenic route to take)
2. Is it dangerous to drive a car from Te Anau to Milford Sound in mid-May?
4. If he doesn't want to take the glacier tour, is Franz Josef still worth visiting?
If not, what would you suggest for day 8-10?
5. He really loves food. But my most satisfying meal experience while I was there 3 years ago was the hangi from Te Puia. Are there other meals he shouldn't miss while in NZ?
6. What is the best salmon farm that he can visit and why?
7. Is there anywhere along his route where he can see sheep farming?