We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toilet tips when traveling South Island

Anywhere
Level Contributor
76 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Toilet tips when traveling South Island

Hi guys!

This is a question I'm actually embarrassed to ask, but do you have good tips for travellers wanting to use public toilet in NZ?

Coming from a tropical country, I often find myself having to go to the toilet much more often than when I'm at my home country. I know an easy solution is campervan. But based on my last experience, I really hate using campervan. The shower size is just impossible and the toilet kept smelling bad even though it was emptied and cleaned with chemicals many times.

Aside from public toilets, which establishments will open their toilets for tourists to use? And how clean are public toilets in NZ?

4 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji
Level Contributor
5,311 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Toilet tips when traveling South Island

The I-store Visitor centres have public toilets. Petrol stations have toilets best to buy something though.

Any of the major shopping centres have public toilets too.

Depends on where you go but definately the ones mentioned should be of reasonable standard.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,761 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Toilet tips when traveling South Island

Pretty much everywhere that has a commercial place (such as a cafe or service station) with a toilet will also have public toilets - all but the smallest of towns have them. Your troubles will come when you're out on the road, between towns.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
38,903 posts
432 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Toilet tips when traveling South Island

Tourists often comment on how good public toilets are in NZ! Almost every small town or village has well-signposted public toilets. If you have above average need, it might be worth NOT filling the petrol tank each morning so you have an "excuse" to use the toilet at a petrol station an hour down the road!!

Or budget for a few extra cups of tea/coffee so you have an excuse to stop at a cafe.

In bigger towns that have fast food chains like MacDonalds, it is usually possible to use the toilets without buying.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Toilet tips when traveling South Island

If you will have a smartphone with wi-fi or data there are two very handy apps you can download that show the public toilets around the country: Campermate and LeisureNZ. There are very few towns that do not have public toilets available, just look for the signs.

Edited: 03 February 2018, 05:23
Reply to: Toilet tips when traveling South Island
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted