We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking Interislander with directferries.com?

Anywhere
Level Contributor
76 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Booking Interislander with directferries.com?

My husband and I are thinking of taking Interislander from Picton to Wellington this April. We wish to book in advance and see the fare for 2 adults are NZD 130 when booking directly with Interislander. I notice that directferries.com offer a slightly cheaper price at NZD 113. Has anyone booked a ferry via directferries.com? What should I know before booking via an agent?

Also, will the ferry be too crowded to be enjoyable on ANZAC day? And how many hours before departure time should we be ready at the ferry terminal?

Mentioned in this post
Interislander
Interislander
3,415 Reviews
Wellington, New Zealand
Picton
Picton
Marlborough Region, New Zealand
Wellington
Wellington
Greater Wellington, New Zealand
7 replies to this topic
1. Re: Booking Interislander with directferries.com?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 14 February 2018, 00:45

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
38,855 posts
432 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking Interislander with directferries.com?

I've never heard of Direct Ferries. Normally I would not advise booking through a third party in case something goes wrong. Are you sure you are comparing the same fare structure (ie flexible vs fixed)? Are you taking a car? Sometimes you can get discounted fares through your rental company.

I can't imagine ANZAC Day having any impact on travel. It is in the middle of the school holidays not at the beginning or end.

If taking a car you need to get in line one hour before departure. For walk on passengers the check-in time is about 30 minutes.

California
Level Contributor
10,382 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booking Interislander with directferries.com?

I removed my original post above. When I put a dummy booking into directferries.com, it came up with an amount with only a dollar sign in front of it. It was unclear if that was USD or NZD, which would make a big difference.

I don't know what country you are posting from, but be sure you are really looking at NZD and not the currency of your own country. Changing the currency was not obvious to me and it took me awhile to figure it out. In the end, the fare was only slightly different.

I would still have my trepidations about booking through a third-party site. I've had a couple of instances where saving some money via 3rd party sites wasn't worth the hassle.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,605 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booking Interislander with directferries.com?

I have used Direct Ferries when booking in Europe about 10 years ago. No problems but that was when it was harder to find company websites and compare prices. Personally I would just use the Interislander website now, cut out the middle man. You can also try https://www.bluebridge.co.nz the other company that does the crossing.

I have heard the prices are comparable.

Mentioned in this post
Interislander
Interislander
3,415 Reviews
Wellington, New Zealand
Greater Perth...
Level Contributor
791 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Booking Interislander with directferries.com?

My advise is for travelers not to minimize the use of 3rd party booking sites, just to save a few dollars.

Many such 3rd party booking sites are unreliable as to current prices, add on such as baggage, seat allocation, required visas, Manage my Booking access, accommodation confirmation and communication in general.

Applicable to Air/ Land bookings.

Buyer beware.

Greater Perth...
Level Contributor
791 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Booking Interislander with directferries.com?

Sorry, I meant minimize your exposure to 3rd party booking sites

Anywhere
Level Contributor
76 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Booking Interislander with directferries.com?

Noted! We will book from Interislander directly and avoid any third parties. Thanks for the helpful advice, zhuhai2007, deSchenke, BrianR44 and AraluenC5-23-17! :)

Mentioned in this post
Interislander
Interislander
3,415 Reviews
Wellington, New Zealand
Reply to: Booking Interislander with directferries.com?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted