We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary from Christchurch to Auckland

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
20 posts
147 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary from Christchurch to Auckland

Hi, I'm travelling to NZ for about a month between October and November. I'll stay by myself in Auckland for 3 days, then with a tour in both islands including Hahei, Rotorua (2), Tongariro, Whakahoro, Wellington, Abel Tasman (2), Franz Josef (2), Makarora, Doubtful Sound, Queenstown (3), Mt Cook, and finishing at Christchurch on the 17th day. In brackets the nights. I've booked 2 nights there, as we'll arrive at 17 o 18 to Christchurch. And then I have 6 days to go back to Auckland and go home.

I still don't know where to go those 6 free days after the tour, any advice?

I almost forget: I'm travelling solo, and I don't want to drive.

Thank you!!

Edited: 19 February 2018, 20:03
Archer Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Carrington Tours
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Bike Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
6 replies to this topic
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary from Christchurch to Auckland

How are you travelling - is this a Ho-ho bus tour? Will you be using Intercity buses to get back to AKL? What are your interests? Fitness level? Budget - whale watch tours etc?

19. Chch to Kaikoura (the Coastal Pacific train might be operating by next November) - swim with dolphins or whale watch etc.

20. Kaikoura to Blenheim (wine) or Picton (Queen Charlotte Track) (1-2N depending on your interests**)

21. Ferry to Wellington

22. New Plymouth (1-2N depending on your interests**)

23. NP to Waitomo Caves

24. WC to AKL

25. Do you mean 6N or 6D/5N - perhaps you have one more night to spend where marked **?

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
20 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary from Christchurch to Auckland

First of all: thank you for your answer!

I forgot to write that I'll arrive to Christchurch at 5 or 6 pm (that's the "17 or 18" I wrote, sorry!) on 16th November, I've booked that night and the next there. For me it's easier talk about days and no dates. I'll put everything in dates.

Resuming: I'm free from 17th Nov to 23rd November when my plane departs at 15:15. That's 5 nights. I can cancel a night in Chch if necessary, as I booked with free cancellation.

I booked a Stray travel tour, not ho-ho.

I feel comfortable with a 5 hours walk, and can manage one of 7 hours. I love nature, so whales, dolphins and penguins are a must. Kaikoura seems to be the next place after Chch :)

I've looked Naked bus and Intercity, I'm not sure about reserve tickets or buy them on the go.

Edited: 19 February 2018, 23:19
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary from Christchurch to Auckland

OK, I did understand the 17 to 18 bit, but thought the 2N in Chch were not counted in the 6 free days.

17. Explore Chch

18. Chch to Kaikoura

19. Kaikoura to Picton to WLG

20. WLG to New Plymouth (or Taupo)

21.. Explore NPL or Taupo

22. Return to AKL

23. Fly out

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
16,223 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary from Christchurch to Auckland

New Plymouth is a lovely coastal city with lots to see and do within the city boundaries. If you are already going to Rotorua, you will pass through Taupo on the way south to Tongariro NP.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
20 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary from Christchurch to Auckland

My tour doesn't say anything about Taupo. The trip is from Hahei to Rotorua, and a free day there. The description of the way to Tongariro doesn't say anything about Taupo, this day we walk the Tongariro Alpine Crossing, so I don't think we'll stop at Taupo. To include it I was thinking on these two options:

17-Nov CHC to Kaikoura by bus

18-Nov full day in Kaikoura

19-Nov Kaikoura to Wellington by bus

20-Nov Wellington to New Plymouth by bus

21-Nov full day in NPL

22-Nov full day in NPL or NPL to AKL by bus

23-Nov NPL to AKL by bus - flight home at 20:15

Or

17-Nov CHC to Kaikoura by bus

18-Nov full day in Kaikoura

19-Nov Kaikoura to NPL by plane

20-Nov full day in NPL

21-Nov NPL to Taupo by bus

22-Nov full day in Taupo

23-Nov Taupo to AKL- flight home at 20:15

What do you think?

Edited: 24 February 2018, 21:36
Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
16,223 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary from Christchurch to Auckland

If your tour isn't planning to make a stop at Taupo, I wouldn't go out of my way especially to visit Taupo later on. Is there something that you want to see or do especially in Taupo?

If not the route through New Plymouth is less complex and sees you heading back to Auckland in a more streamlined approach. On the 22nd November, you may be interested in stopping off in Otorohanga to visit the Waitomo caves then catch a bus the following day up to Auckland.

Reply to: Itinerary from Christchurch to Auckland
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted