We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First working holiday in NZ

Za6
Singapore
7 posts
First working holiday in NZ
Save

I'm (26F) looking to visit NZ for a working holiday, anytime between 3 to 6 months. Is Wellington a good place to start? I'd like to be away from the bustling city of Auckland but nowhere as quiet as Chrischurch, so the characteristics of Wellington's arts and creative scene really spoke to me. Though having never visited NZ before, I'm not sure if I should fly directly to Wellington first or stop by Auckland for a few days, get some things sorted out first and then fly to Welly.

Any advice?

7 replies to this topic
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Christchurch, South Island, Akaroa
Level Contributor
49,355 posts
558 reviews
207 helpful votes
1. Re: First working holiday in NZ
Save

Christchurch is actually bigger than Wellington and has 2 big advantages for you- #1 direct flights from SIN & #2 easy access to great sightseeing opportunities on your days off.

Depending on what time of year you are coming and what sort of work you plan to do, it might be more sensible to head to places where the seasonal work is crying out for workers eg Central Otago (fruit pickingg & packing etc) or Queenstown & Wanaka (hospitality).

Nelson-Tasman...
Destination Expert
for South Island, Nelson-Tasman Region, New Zealand
Level Contributor
18,362 posts
657 reviews
486 helpful votes
2. Re: First working holiday in NZ
Save

#1 agreed

Za6
Singapore
7 posts
3. Re: First working holiday in NZ
Save

I’m looking to come around May next year, due to some personal events I’ve only got between that and early-September. Anytime before or after it is going to be a little tough.

Work-wise, I’m open to anything! Somewhere I can use my skills (customer service, digital marketing) or labour work is fine too.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central, New Zealand, North Island, Cook Islands
Level Contributor
25,858 posts
138 reviews
82 helpful votes
4. Re: First working holiday in NZ
Save

Kia Ora Za6, welcome to the Kiwi forums.

Wellington is a wonderful capital city. Compact, vibrant, varied community interests and events. And like other places in NZ, Wellington also has a labour shortage. Depending on your skillset, you should be able to secure a short term placement across a range of work opportunities.

For a winter stay, be sure to bring warm clothes and a quality raincoat!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
16,022 posts
207 reviews
104 helpful votes
5. Re: First working holiday in NZ
Save

I was a regular visitor to Wellington when working. Probably 30 times a year.

In my opinion it has a character and vibe misding from other NZ cities. Especially in foul weather.

Not sure Id want to live there permanently though😁

Edited: 02 December 2022, 04:51
New Zealand
Level Contributor
7,712 posts
367 reviews
291 helpful votes
6. Re: First working holiday in NZ
Save

Wellington is a good place to find temp work for someone with skills in customer service and digital marketing. Check https://www.seek.co.nz or https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/jobs to get an idea of what's available.

Za6
Singapore
7 posts
7. Re: First working holiday in NZ
Save

Thanks for your inputs! Very much appreciated here. I’m still deciding between the two cities and am reading up a lot on them. I like that CHCH is nearer & has tons of things to see as well, scenery wise. I haven’t been looking in depth into the types of jobs available there, or the accommodations available though I know of trademe as a good place to look for places.

Wellington seems to be a better bet for me seeing as it has some aspects of what I love; a creative scene, coffees, has a wine region and hiking trails.

Does anyone currently living in Wellington or Christchurch feel open to sharing the living / casual employment situation in their city?

Reply to: First working holiday in NZ
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2023 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.