We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NZ Honeymoon on North Island

Charleston, West...
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
NZ Honeymoon on North Island

Hi there!

My fiancé and I plan on honeymooning briefly in NZ before going to Fiji for a longer period of time. We will be visiting the North Island in mid-August. We want to experience the very best the North island has to offer this time of year, but we are aware we will have to be very picky considering we will only have approx. 5 days for a quick visit (aka we can only see a few things, or maybe just one experience in all).

We don't mind backpacking/hiking/ anything with a challenge. We are open to whatever and are experienced backpackers.

Any suggestions would be lovely.

Thanks to all!

Mentioned in this post
Fiji
Fiji
South Pacific
North Island
North Island
New Zealand
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
37,594 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NZ Honeymoon on North Island

I assume you realise this is mid-winter in NZ?

Normally I'd recommend the Bay of Islands at this time of year but since you are going on to Fiji, perhaps BoI would not be so interesting.

What are your interests? How about Rotorua, Mt Ruapehu (LOTR), Lake Taupo & Waitomo Caves? If you are LOTR fans you could include Hobbiton.

Mentioned in this post
Bay of Islands
Bay of Islands
Northland Region, New Zealand
Fiji
Fiji
South Pacific
Rotorua
Rotorua
Rotorua District, New Zealand
Mt Ruapehu
Mt Ruapehu
384 Reviews
Tongariro National Park, New Zealand
Lake Taupo
Lake Taupo
298 Reviews
North Island, New Zealand
Waitomo Caves
Waitomo Caves
Waitomo District, New Zealand
Hobbiton Movie Set Tours
Hobbiton Movie Set Tours
7,367 Reviews
Hinuera, New Zealand
Charleston, West...
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NZ Honeymoon on North Island

Yes, we realize it is winter :) I know this is not ideal, but that's why I'm asking for advice...to determine what we can take advantage of in the winter (and still have a great time)!

I am simply an outdoors junkie - hiking, backpacking, rafting, etc. Anything pleases me. My future husband is admittedly a LOTR lover so that's a definite possibility.

Thanks so much for your suggestions - I will look into those further for sure.

Kalispell, Montana
Level Contributor
192 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NZ Honeymoon on North Island

If your future hubby is a LOTR lover, look at "Hobbiton". What about going to Rotoura for a couple nights to soak in the hot mineral pools, do some exploring, etc. of the geothermal area there. If you look on trip advisor under Rotoura hotels, then click either "Romantic" or "Specialty Lodging", you can get some interesting places to stay, besides your general hotels that might be nice for your honeymoon. Have a great trip and congrats! I haven't been yet, but am going next month.

Mentioned in this post
Hobbiton Movie Set Tours
Hobbiton Movie Set Tours
7,367 Reviews
Hinuera, New Zealand
Charleston, West...
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NZ Honeymoon on North Island

Thank-you!

5. Re: NZ Honeymoon on North Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2014, 13:18