We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to and from the airport

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
263 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to and from the airport

We are flying into Auckland from Sydney and staying in Ponsonby. What is the best way to get there from the airport. Can you take a bus or should we take a taxi and how much roughly would a taxi cost or should we Uber? Thankyou

4 replies to this topic
Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
15,947 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to and from the airport

My family uses Uber,except travelling from the airport isn't as convenient as going from the city to airport. I suggest using a shuttle service with Super shuttle having a permanent base at the airport. Cost effective, reliable and convenient.

Edited: 06 February 2018, 15:30
Level Contributor
3 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to and from the airport

Yesterday I took CheapCabs from the airport to downtown Auckland. I just looked for the first CheapCabs taxi in the line. Good ride, good driver, and cost just NZ$ 42.

Tauranga, New...
Level Contributor
9 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to and from the airport

Hi Bronte19,

I find Auckland public transport difficult. There is an Airport shuttle that is about $17 one way or $32 return trip that only takes you into central Auckland. You can get off at the last stop which is the main transport hub and find a bus to Ponsonby.

There is no one bus from the Airport to Ponsonby. You will probably have to change busses several times and walk between stops. Of course this will still be cheaper. Here is the URL for Auckland Transport's trip planner. https:/… you can put the exact address in to see if you can find a bus from Britomart to a stop near your hotel.

If there is two of you travelling together, this is getting up near $40 anyway so you might be better to look for an Uber. Drivers in NZ are police vetted, and have to have a passenger service licence and a special warrant of fitness on their car so you should be safe. make sure it is not rush hour when you are coming into the city though.

Good luck!

Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
6,328 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to and from the airport

From memory, discount taxis are really cheap and reliable. You can book when you arrive.09 529 1000 or book online.

Reply to: Getting to and from the airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted