We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sim Card for six weeks

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Sim Card for six weeks

Hi I need some advice re sim cards, I am arriving Auckland 1st May for six weeks, can I get a sim card at the airport on arrival and if so which carrier would I get the best deal from to cover our six week visit. Thanks in advance, kind regards, Noel.

12 replies to this topic
Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
16,223 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sim Card for six weeks

Hi Noel.

Talk to both Vodafone and Spark to see what they can offer. A basic SIM card with data is $49.00 at Vodafone, but you can also purchase add-ons at the same time. Vodafone has a booth upstairs, airside, beside Loop duty-free, and they have another booth downstairs in the public area of the international terminal next to Spark.

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
4,370 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sim Card for six weeks

I got a 2degrees sim when we arrived in Wellington three weeks ago for $19. With that I got 1GB of data and I think 500 minutes of calls and unlimited texts. Obviously there are more zexpensive packages if you need more but that has worked just fine for us for occasional use on the road. All our accommodation has had good WiFi so no need in the evenings.

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
4,370 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sim Card for six weeks

Edit to post 2. Forgot to say that our package was for a month, so you would need two for six weeks.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sim Card for six weeks

Thank you for your helpful info I will follow up on it on our arrival at Auckland Airport

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
41 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sim Card for six weeks

FYI--the $49 travel sim from Vodafone gives you minutes, texts and data that are good for 60 days. https://www.vodafone.co.nz/travel-sim/

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
33 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sim Card for six weeks

Yes, you can buy at the airport in the arrivals lounge. The SIM cards themselves are generally free (or maybe a couple of dollars). You just need to select which plan/offer you want. Vodafone, Spark & 2 Degrees are the main companies.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
8,319 posts
451 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sim Card for six weeks

skinny has $9 for 28 days includes 50 min call time, unlimited texts and about 250mb data. Warehouse have sim $8 a month for 1gb.

Warehouse uses vodafone. skinny uses spark.

Spark and Vodafone are the most expensive packages and when i changed to skinny and warehouse have been really pleased and saved heaps

Napa, California
Level Contributor
32 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sim Card for six weeks

I bought a SIM card at international arrival in the duty free shop from Vodaphone for $43 for 3GB if data, 200 calls and 200 texts (domestic and various foreign countries). If you need more you can get a bigger package or just top off as you need. I have been going on 3 weeks and still a good amount left.

Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sim Card for six weeks

This is what I have now. It seems to be working well, so far. I'm able to call and text locally and internationally.

There will be vendors at the Duty Free, right before you walk to Customs. However, there are also vendors after Customs, at the exit to the arrivals section of the airport.

Napa, California
Level Contributor
32 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sim Card for six weeks

Correct, but the benefit of buying at duty free is that you will save a few dollars. It is $49 past customs.

Reply to: Sim Card for six weeks
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Auckland Central