We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anybody had bad service from Co-Op Taxi's in Auckland?

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Has anybody had bad service from Co-Op Taxi's in Auckland?

We booked Co-Op days in advance to take us to the Bruce Springsteen concert at Mt Smart and then collect us to take us home on 1 March. We received absolutely appalling service - in fact we got no service at all!!!!

We waited over 1 1/2 hours for the taxi to turn up. We spoke to the customer service guys and the supervisor 3 times. Each time they told us that our taxi was on it's way, that there were no taxis free in the area and we were next in the que.

We gave up and rang Green Taxis who were with us in 10 minutes. Brilliant!

Co-Op rang us when we were on our way and we told them that we had given up and called another company and were on our way to the venue, and advised that we were very unhappy and won't ever be using them again - nor will my husband authorise the use of Co-op for his staff - They use $4000 worth of taxis a month with Co-op.... Bummer they really got it wrong this time!

To add insult to injury, as we arrived at Mt Smart in our Green Taxi we got a call from the driver from Co-Op saying he was in our driveway and where were we!!!!

Communication people, is the key to any service industry!! Co-op you really need to look at your standards.

The only reason we had to use Co-op is that who my husbands company asks us to use them for corporate events. It was a complete and utter shambles and we will not be using Co-op ever again personally or professionally! They are unreliable and the booking system seems to be an absolute joke...

38 replies to this topic
New Zealand
Level Contributor
6,761 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has anybody had bad service from Co-Op Taxi's in Auckland?

Perhaps making a formal complaint might be more worthwhile?

…govt.nz/commercial/…complaints

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anybody had bad service from Co-Op Taxi's in Auckland?

I have done exactly that and been in contact with the Co-Op management. By posting on Trip Advisor I also hopefully am going to let at least a few people know not to book a Taxi via Co-Op - especially if you need to get to your destination on time…. Like the airport to catch a flight. Or perhaps to a wedding

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
8,799 posts
467 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Has anybody had bad service from Co-Op Taxi's in Auckland?

I used green cabs recently and were recently wowed by their service. They way exceeded my expectations when I had a very sick daughter. The driver was so good when I was rushing to get to the hospital. The driver even gave me a box of chocolates on the return trip

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
6,393 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Has anybody had bad service from Co-Op Taxi's in Auckland?

Glad you made a formal complaint about your bad experience.

I don't use taxis much nowadays. However, when I do I'd never use anyone other than Corporate Cabs. They are totally professional and reliable. I would recommend them to anyone and for the service they give are well worth the extra couple of dollars.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
217 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Has anybody had bad service from Co-Op Taxi's in Auckland?

Co-op taxis are one of the better Auckland taxi companies. Not as good as Corporate Cabs, but not as expensive either.

You were catching a taxi at the same time as 40,000 other people - delays are to be expected.

Mentioned in this post
Auckland
Auckland
North Island, New Zealand
Auckland, New...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Has anybody had bad service from Co-Op Taxi's in Auckland?

Yes, we phoned to get them to pick up a baby sitter to take her home. They promised a cab. 40 minutes later we called to find out where it was and they told us that they had o taxis in the area and could give us no ETA. I ended up driving the sitter home myself. Will NEVER use again!!

Auckland, New...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Has anybody had bad service from Co-Op Taxi's in Auckland?

We called at midnight….. doubt there were 40,000 other calls at the time. They just suck.

Hong Kong, China
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Has anybody had bad service from Co-Op Taxi's in Auckland?

Avoid to take a taxi from Auckland airport. This is why - NZ Herald 7th May 2014.

Editorial: Taxi owners must act now to end high fare disgrace

5:00 AM Wednesday May 7, 2014

Readers of the Weekend Herald would have been appalled to learn of its experience last week with Auckland Co-op Taxis. A reporter doing an anonymous survey of taxi fares from Auckland Airport to the city was quoted $85 by the city's largest fleet. When we questioned the company about this, a spokeswoman for Co-op Taxis said the figure should have been $65. If this behaviour is typical, it is a disgrace.

Taxis at Auckland Airport are in the front line of tourism. They are frequently the first experience of New Zealand once the visitor has come through passport and baggage checks. Few first impressions can be worse than a taxi rip-off. The tourist might avoid taxis for the rest of the stay but the aftertaste never goes away. It can overshadow the person's memory of the country forever.

We have no doubt passengers are routinely being charged as much as $85. Yesterday, we reported that Black Cabs, owned by Auckland Co-op Taxis, last month charged an Australian couple $94 for the journey into the city.

The cheapest cab fare from the airport to the city is $35, which is about what it should be on the basis of international comparisons. The average fare is $77, or $3.50 a kilometre. The average rate in Australia is $1.75 a kilometre. New Zealand taxis were among the most expensive in the world in a table published by international travel company CheapFlights last month.

It is hard to know why this is so. If Auckland Airport severely restricted the number of companies allowed to wait on its ranks it would be inviting the favoured few to increase their prices.

But it allows eight companies to pick up passengers at its terminals, some from a designated rank for which they pay a premium, others from a free-flow rank. With eight companies in competition there should be no room for excessive pricing.

Customers should be able to compare the quality of cars and the fares on offer simply by walking along the rank inviting bids. If they find all drivers directing them to the first cab, they can be certain something is wrong.

The airport's general manager, Richard Barker, said he was concerned about excessive fares, especially the examples we reported yesterday, in which Black Cabs charged a Christchurch businessman nearly $200 to go from the airport to Albany and an Auckland family $155 for the journey to Devonport.

Taxi Federation president Roger Heale has undertaken to speak to Auckland Co-op about the fares its drivers are charging and the Co-op's compliance officer, Mark O'Brien, agrees the rates sound too high. But passengers should be checking fares before they get into a taxi, he says. Passengers should have to do no such thing.

Consumers Institute chief executive Sue Chetwin thinks the problem is a lack of a bargaining culture in New Zealand. In healthy industries, no such culture is needed. Everyone receives the going rate.

Aucklanders may have accepted the idea that taxi meters can click up $3.50 a kilometre, perhaps assuming the city's size and road congestion makes this rate necessary. If so, they should believe it no longer.

A reasonable rate is more like $1.75 a kilometre. If Australian urban taxis can run at that rate, so can Auckland's. Unless taxis can offer a more reasonable charge from the airport, tourists would be warned to avoid them.

Shuttles or the express bus to Britomart ($16) are much better value. One day a railway might get there. Unless taxis reduce their rate for travelling from the airport, they are going to face ever longer waits for a fare.

Mentioned in this post
Auckland
Auckland
North Island, New Zealand
New Zealand
New Zealand
South Pacific
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Christchurch
Christchurch
Canterbury Region, New Zealand
Devonport
Devonport
3,926 Reviews
Auckland Central, New Zealand
Britomart
Britomart
183 Reviews
Auckland Central, New Zealand
Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Has anybody had bad service from Co-Op Taxi's in Auckland?

Caught a Co-op Taxi van last week to transport 6 people. This first van was rough to say the least, the seat covers were well worn and dusty. We all got out feeling like we needed to dust ourselves down. The van on the return trip was in a much worse state. There was tagging on the back of the middle row of seating, the seat covers were tattered, one of the seats was on a 120 degree backward lean permanently. It's probably something people may not notice after a night out on the booze but not a good look in the middle of day. Do taxi's not need WOFs, not sure that this one would have met many safety standards. Service was prompt however.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Has anybody had bad service from Co-Op Taxi's in Auckland?

My experience with Coop is almost identical to the Op's experience.

I organised our company christmas event

I booked two taxi vans a month in advance. I called the morning of the day we required the vans to reconfirm -no record of origonal booking but booking "made" then

Half an hour before pickup was due I called to tell them pickup could be any time from then as everybody was there. No record of any booking and better still there would be no vans available for a couple of hours.

I was told "you have to realise that its christmas time and vans are in high demand"

My reply was somewhat terse.

Reply to: Has anybody had bad service from Co-Op Taxi's in Auckland?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Auckland Central