We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Auckland or Wellington?

Leeds, United...
4 posts
Save Topic
Auckland or Wellington?

Hello,

I'm Patrick and I currently live in Leeds in the UK. My girlfriend & I are moving to New Zealand hopefully in the next few months but I'm writing in the hope that you can help us get a clearer picture of what to expect.

We originally hoped to move the Australia on a skilled visa, however, the process has been so complicated and expensive we have decided New Zealand is a much more viable option, its by no means a lesser option but I think our desire to leave the UK is mainly based on gloomy weather and a frozen commute to work. We have therefore been researching Auckland & Wellington and it doesn't seem as though sunny climates are guaranteed and can be quite windy/rainy on a regular basis? Is this true? (this is very important to me!)

Secondly, I think we are both looking for a new challenge in our working lives and have read that the New Zealand economy is doing quite well and job prospects are quite good right now. My partner is a fully qualified accountant and although not entering on a skilled visa it could be an attractive CV to a potential employer. I think this will be the most important factor on deciding either Auckland or Wellington.

I've been researching various blogs to see the pros and cons of life in New Zealand and found one that was pretty much just Brits moaning about how difficult life is there and how much they want to go home, I'm taking this with a pinch of salt because I'm sure you've noticed the one thing Brits take collective joy in is their ability to spot the faults in almost everything but would be good to hear some advice and accurate weather reports.

Thanks

Patrick

17 replies to this topic
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
36,322 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Auckland or Wellington?

What is your particukar skill as that will make a difference?

The biggest drawback to Auckland is going to be the cost of housing.

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
3,879 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Auckland or Wellington?

Auckland has alot of rain and alot of humidity.

Wellington is cooler than Auckland, less humidity, and is known as'Windy Wellington' for a very good reason.

Overall, I belive that the weather in both places is 'better' than the UK - definately doesn't get as cold. There are significantly fewer (if any) cases of SAD.

Auckland is out largest city, constantly in the news currently for the expensive cost of housing - and undersupply of reasonable long term accommodation for the majority of people on average salaries. Traffic is also a big issue - our infrastructure wasn't so well planned to cope with commuters.

Wellington is our current seat of government, so alot of government-related employment. Housing is more reasonably price, road traffic is increasing, but there are also trains for the commute. Wellington is on a major fault line, and there have been a few good earthquakes recently, which have lead to the discovery of buildings that weren't so stable.

I think that you could also look at Christchurch - plenty of opportunity. Weather has more distinct seasons.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
807 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Auckland or Wellington?

Pineapplesensei's comments on Auckland are correct. Our infrastructure has not kept up with the massive immigration we are currently experiencing. The jobs in demand in Auckland are for skilled builders, engineers, teachers and nurses who are leaving the city because of the high cost of housing and renting.

Three of my family members moved to the UK 10 years ago (one has since come home). They have all had to go through massive challenges with the UK border to be able to extend their skilled migrant visas but they never gave up on what they wanted. IMO you should pursue your wish to move to Australia or do a lot more homework on NZ before making a decision, as it sounds like NZ is nothing more than a default option for you.

I've made three trips to the UK over the last five years for extended periods and while our temperatures may be warmer we get a lot of wind and rain and Auckland is permanently grey over winter.

Accountancy and Media are the go to professions for huge numbers of New Zealand school leavers.

Edited: 06 February 2017, 03:54
New Zealand
Level Contributor
5,956 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Auckland or Wellington?

Is there any particular reason you are just looking at Auckland and Wellington? You may find openings in provincial cities such as Tauranga, Napier/Hastings and Nelson that give you better weather and a more affordable lifestyle.

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
14,252 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Auckland or Wellington?

If good weather is very important to you, you may be disappointed with NZ. We spent 4 weeks in NZ this last Dec/Jan, starting in Auckland and finishing in Queenstown. Maybe we were unlucky, but there wasn't much summer IMO. We had some quite cold days, quite a bit of wind and some rain. Rain is to be expected any time anywhere, but the cold and wind was what surprised us.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Auckland or Wellington?

Hi Patrick

Weather in Akld is better. Wgtn's is unpredictable, but it is a small city and therefore easy to get around, handy to Sth Island and quick to get out into countryside (5mins drive from suburbs and you are on wild coastline or mountain walks). Love Akld for access to gorgeous top of Island and more businesses. Economy good in either. I prefer Wgtn as I love the coffee & arts culture and smallness of it.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
147 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Auckland or Wellington?

Hi there,

Me and my partner did the same - moved from London to New Zealand two years ago. We are based in Auckland which we love. However, we did go to Wellington recently and could totally see ourselves living there.

The climate is much better than the UK, long warm summers and mild winters. Yes you get rain but tends to be a downpour and then in the next hour you'll have blue skies (the 'four seasons in one day' saying is very true). It's not as hot as Aussie but that place is dangerously hot.

I've written a few blog posts about our move over here and some of the places we have visited in New Zealand, which might be useful in helping you figure out what's what: https://everydayexplorersblog.com/ - there is definitely no moaning about wanting to go home - we are in the process of applying for permanent residency!

Also, I lived in Australia for a year and I much prefer New Zealand so you've made the right choice!

Good luck with your move!

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
8 posts
411 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Auckland or Wellington?

Hello everyone,

I was hoping if you could help me. I'm moving to New Zealand in September with a Working Holiday visa. Yes, it's a one year visa, but I'm hoping to stay longer, since I'm an engineer and I would love to find a proper job and stay there permanently.

My problem is that I've been reading a lot and I'm not sure whether to go. I need to find a job as soon as I get there. I definiteley don't want the kind of noise and traffic you get in big cities, but I also don't see myself living in the countryside. I enjoy nature and being outdoors. I love eating out and good bars and coffee places.

Could anyone recommend where to start my NZ experience?

Thanks!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
36,322 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Auckland or Wellington?

Christchurch is probably the best place to get work in engineering, depending on your field - civil is the most sought after. With the rebuild nearing its peak construction work seems never-ending!

Chch additionally has the advantage of much cheaper housing & easy access to the countryside for weekend recreation, esp hiking & mountain-biking.

1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Auckland or Wellington?

Thanks for your reply!

I haven't considered Christchurch but will do now. Any special suburb to stay when I arrive? Places not to be missed?

Reply to: Auckland or Wellington?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Wellington