We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to situate ourselves for 4 nights?

Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where to situate ourselves for 4 nights?

My wife and I are traveling to the Wellington area at the end of December. We will be with our two kids (3 and 6 years old). We would love to stay in an area that is close to major attractions: wineries, outdoor activities, restaurants and grocery stores. Is there a particular town in the greater Wellington area that you would recommend? We will be taking the Ferry after our time in Wellington to the South Island.

11 replies to this topic
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
35,809 posts
362 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to situate ourselves for 4 nights?

Wellington is our capital city. You need to get some distance out into the country to find wineries! Martin borough is the nearest wine-growing region - about an hour out of Wlg on SH 2.

OTH if you want beaches for the kids you really need the Kapiti Coast, about an hour north on SH 1!!

Personally I'd be looking for an AirBnB or motel close in to the city where you play on the beach in Oriental Bay; ride the Cable Car & walk through the Botanic Gardens (great playground); visit Zealandia Eco Sanctuary (birdwatching) and of course Te Papa. Don't miss Chocolate Fish Cafe at Shelley Bay, just east of the airport - has a wonderful range of bikes & pedal cars for the kids to ride. There are some great rock pools to explore all the way around the South Coast, from Lyall Bay to Owhiro Bay, esp in island Bay.

Edited: 23 June 2017, 18:00
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to situate ourselves for 4 nights?

This is very helfpful information. Thank you!

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
3,789 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to situate ourselves for 4 nights?

What's the rest of your itinerary like! As noted, Wellington is our capital city, and other areas are more renowned for what you're looking for. You may need to change your thinking and treat Wellington as a cool city-break. And that's just it, Wellington is a cool city with stacks of great stuff for families - as noted, inner city Oriental Parade, or nearby Island Bay etc.

Te Papa is our national museum, FREE, and an awesome place to explore (for kids and adults alike!)... One day isn't enough for TePapa!

The Cable Car is fun and unique - I've visited Wellington since birth, and still love going on the Cable Car several decades later!

Zealandia is a top rated 'nature experience' (I've not made it there yet :-( ... nature reserve full of native bits, plants etc

...and so much more...

Auckland
Level Contributor
1,487 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to situate ourselves for 4 nights?

Stay in right in Wellington.

There's lots to do and it doesn't all cost a lot and there is a cool playground down in the Queens Wharf area. It's all pedestrian friendly and pop up shops with snacks and gelato in the summer.

Like PineappleSensei I still enjoy the Cable Car ride up the hill.

The Wellington Zoo is small but perfectly formed with an excellent kea enclosure, Sun Bear from China and Tasmanian Devil (although we could not see it).

Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to situate ourselves for 4 nights?

I appreciate the suggestion of treating Wellington as a city retreat. We have the following itinerary:

Auckland area - 4 days

Coromandel Peninsula - 5 days

Rotorua - 3 days

Wellington - 4 days

Blenheim area - 3 days

Abel Tasman Area - 4 days

Hamner Springs - 3 days

Christchurch - 3 days

Wanaka area - 4 days

Queenstown area - 4 days

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,903 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to situate ourselves for 4 nights?

I think you may have a little too much time in Hamner Springs and Wanaka and maybe you could utilise a couple of days to visit Te Anua and Milford Sound.

From CHC why not stop at Mt Cook on the way to Wanaka or are there reasons for the 3 and 4 day stays?.

Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to situate ourselves for 4 nights?

I find that when traveling with younger kids it is a much more enjoyable experience to not have to pack up every day or every other day. With that said, Mt. Cook and Te Anau/Milford Sound look like phenomenal places to visit. Do you feel like the activities in each place are suitable with young children?

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
35,809 posts
362 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to situate ourselves for 4 nights?

Aoraki-Mt Cook is a walkers' paradise. If your kds are good walkers they shoukd have no problem with several of the shorter walks.

3 days at Hanmer Springs would bore me silly. There are only so many massages and swims you can have in one day.

The kids will find Rotorua to Wlg & Chch to Wanaka very long days in the car - not recommended for adults.

Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to situate ourselves for 4 nights?

greytravellerSydney.... what is the best area to situate ourselves for 3 or 4 nights in the Mt. Cook area?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,903 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to situate ourselves for 4 nights?

For the Mt Cook area you would need to stay in Mt Cook Village accommodation. Lots of lovely walks in the area along with stargazing at night (if the Kids can stay awake) Lake Takepo is really too far (104klm each way) to keep driving back and forwards and as most DE point out there is not a lot to do there

Reply to: Where to situate ourselves for 4 nights?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted