We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wellington: remove from my itinerary or add time?

Evansville, Indiana
Level Contributor
40 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Wellington: remove from my itinerary or add time?

Lone, female, Senior Citizen traveler planning a trip to NZ next April with help from a travel agent. She currently has me visiting: 1) Wellington for 2 nights, but only one full day. 2) Flying on to Christchurch (which she thinks I should only spend one full day there), then the 3)Tranz Alpine Train to West Coast and the Hokitika area for 2 nights. 4) Drive to Franz Josef area for 2 nights. 6) Drive to Queenstown for 5 nights. 7) Fly to Auckland for 3 nights. Then return to the USA.

Personally, I'm not sure if this is to much. I really don't want to rent a car and drive much, and a friend has told me that some places are much farther apart than they seem.

The travel agent is encouraging me to spend very little time in both Wellington and Christchurch, but they look interesting to me. I need input from others who have spent a couple of weeks in NZ and used public transportation.

12 replies to this topic
Evansville, Indiana
Level Contributor
40 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Wellington: remove from my itinerary or add time?

Thanks for the advice, and I am listening and making notes. Trip is still more than 6 mths. away, so plenty of time to adjust the schedule before I book the trip.

Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
10,239 posts
3,000 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Wellington: remove from my itinerary or add time?

Mary,

There is Much value in planning ahead as you are doing.

Great advice in this thread.

We opted for Scenic New Zealand over City visits.

Reply to: Wellington: remove from my itinerary or add time?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted