We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wellington or rotorua

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
219 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
wellington or rotorua

Hey guys.

I want to take my boyfriend to NZ for his bday late November.

we only have 5 nights to play with and i am trying to decide what would be better our of wellington and Rotorua.

Keeping in mind if we did Rotorua, we would spend the first and last night in Auckland as its alot cheaper to fly into Auckland over Rotorua

Also, we WILL NOT be driving, we are only on our learners and cannot drive in NZ so i would love to know which city is more public transport friendly.

We love adventure activities, mountains, beach, lake, forest and boyfriend is big on adrenaline activities!

any advise is greatly appreciated :)

4 replies to this topic
Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
15,596 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: wellington or rotorua

Rotorua ceased its international flights about 2 years ago. So it will be flying into Auckland, which is much closer to Rotorua than Wellington.

I think you will both enjoy Rotorua for its range of activities, and given your interests - apart from the beach of course.

day 1 - arrive Auckland. Overnight in CBD, or fly on to Rotorua.

day 2 - Intercity bus to Rotorua, or enjoy Rotorua.

day 3 - explore Taupo, use the thermal shuttles to get there.

day 4 - Zipline, luge, zorb, white water rafting, kayaking.

day 5 - return to Auckland by Intercity bus, or go with Great Sights via Hobbiton or Waitomo Caves

day 6 - depart Auckland

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
36,322 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: wellington or rotorua

This is very similar to your last query:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.nz/ShowTopic-g255…

You are not going to see mountains or beaches if you spend all your time in Rotorua!!

Not sure how the train schedule fits with your itinerary (Northern Explorer only runs south on Mom, Thu & Sat) but you could take the train to Tongariro National Park on day 2 & then next afternoon an Intercity bus to Hamilton then Rotorua.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
219 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: wellington or rotorua

zhuhai2007 - my last query was about Rotorua? I am now trying to decide between the two.

And in both questions I have stated we will be spending the night we land and the night before we leave in Auckland- which from what I have read has beaches and mountains? (if we choose Rotorua)

For Rotorua I'm looking at Intercity which gets into Rotorua at mid day and we will be returning early in the morning when we return.

thanks for your reply :)

New Zealand
Level Contributor
5,956 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: wellington or rotorua

It is possible to get a direct flight to Wellington from Sydney and the public transport is good, however your interests probably make Rotorua a better fit.

Reply to: wellington or rotorua
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Wellington