We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is cheese really THIS expensiv in NZ?

southern Germany
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
115 reviews
Save Topic
Is cheese really THIS expensiv in NZ?

Hm - and if so, why?

Q.

16 replies to this topic
Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
3,843 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is cheese really THIS expensiv in NZ?

We ask the same. The response is that there is a worldwide demand for NZ cheese as it's so good. This drives up the price, and we pay world prices.

So even though we produce more milk products than almost any other country in the world we still pay through the nose when we come to buy it.

Doesn't seem fair somehow 🙁

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
36,346 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is cheese really THIS expensiv in NZ?

Why would a farmer sell his/her milk to a factory that paid less for milk consumed on the local market?

Te Anau
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,843 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is cheese really THIS expensiv in NZ?

I dunno. Because he's civic minded? or just a good bloke?

We're already importing meat from Australia because it's cheaper than the local stuff. How long before we see Coon cheese on the supermarket shelves.

Mrs Mac's pies are produced in Perth and sold here cheaper than locally produced pies.

I'm all for globalisation, but this is ridiculous.

4. Re: Is cheese really THIS expensiv in NZ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2017, 15:30

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,925 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is cheese really THIS expensiv in NZ?

New York City area prices tend to be high by US standards. One possible benchmark for US is Sam's Club, a branch of Walmart. Mainland organic cheddar, aged up to 6 months, $8.98/lb., Wyke Farms Vintage Cheddar from Somerset, England, $7.48/lb. Cabot (domestic) about half as much.

While NZ grocery prices are obviously high, dairy and produce quality seem excellent. I think NZ apples are about as much here as there.

On the side, I wish shipping costs from NZ and Australia were a bit lower. It cost quite a lot to send a box from Dunedin that arrived Monday and another from Axiam Plastics in Whanganui that's waiting at the post office. Hard on small publishers and manufacturers wanting to export.

Edited: 19 October 2017, 07:50
Te Anau
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,843 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is cheese really THIS expensiv in NZ?

David, apples are a sore point ( with me anyway). I'm sure all our best apples are exported. Those which aren't of export quality, or which they couldn't find a market for, are held in cool stores and drip fed to the local market throughout the year.

They are dry or flavourless, or mushy or have brown heart, or any combination of these. I've given up eating apples as a result. We even get American apples sometimes. They look fabulous and taste like rubbish : probably because they also have been felt in cool storeage.

We used to get Australian naval oranges which were delicious. Now we have local oranges which have no flavour.

And don't get me started on Tomatoes.

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,925 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is cheese really THIS expensiv in NZ?

US apples in the US tend to be fairly useless. When I lived in Portland, Oregon, local sources like the annual apple sale at a plant nursery were the way to get decent ones. Breeding has allegedly brought better varieties.

I live in a county with mango and citrus problems. We export top quality grapefruit to Japan. Supermarkets have junk. Fortunately local packing houses will provide good fruit and ship it (with their own shipping network) to fortunate friends and relatives. Mango trees as well as lychees and longans live around many houses. Fruit nurseries know and sell the best varieties. The climate is perfect, apart from occasional hurricanes and freezes. You need your own trees, friends, or people selling at farmers markets or from their backyards. My 'Mallika' mango tree has made friends of people who didn't realize mangos were yummy.

By the way, our citrus is being destroyed by two diseases, both case studies for the value of biosecurity.

Edited: 19 October 2017, 09:02
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
8,344 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is cheese really THIS expensiv in NZ?

"Because he is a good bloke?" Really Barry? Farming is a business like any other, and the first responsibility of any business is to make a profit, albeit ethically. The "at the gate" price for the farmer goes in cycles and they take the profit when they can.

I think the monopoly power of Fonterra is the cause of the high price as they need to get as much as they can to pay the CEO. :(

Te Anau
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,843 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is cheese really THIS expensiv in NZ?

That was tongue in cheek Mike. I know market forces drive everything; not always to the advantage of the consumer ( or the producer)

Is the "Mainland" cheese sold in New York from NZ. I've had a look at prices in Countdiwn supermarkets and Mainland Cheese is selling for $10.00 per kg (2.2 lb). So if the quoted price was per lb it's quite a bit cheaper in NZ (less than $5 per lb)

Strangely the Homebrand and Valumetric blocks were $10.50 per kg. The cheapest was $7.50 per kg.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
8,344 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is cheese really THIS expensiv in NZ?

It pays to shop around. Barry's bay cheese is cheaper in our local New World than at the factory shop. I met a Federated farmer rep on the plane once and asked him why our lamb was cheaper in France than here. He said it was commonly used by the overseas super markets as a loss leader. He also suggested our duopoly of supermarkets helped neither the producer or consumer :(

Reply to: Is cheese really THIS expensiv in NZ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Wellington