We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
81 posts
80 reviews
Parking

Hi

just want to confirm if its easy to get overnight street parking around xmas and new year in the CBD around Lambton Quay and The Terrace.

I'm too tight to dish out $30 for hotel parking.

thanks

6 replies to this topic
Auckland
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
57 reviews
1. Re: Parking

Hotel parking is a good deal! At least your hotel offers parking. Wellington has a chronic shortage of parking and if you leave the car overnight it will probably get towed.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
314 posts
42 reviews
2. Re: Parking

From Xmas Day to new year, that is a quiet time of year for street parking for a change. Wonderful for those of us who go shopping for a change! I find it very hard to get parking to go shopping on a normal weekend.

Hourly fees apply on weekdays. Weekend parking is free, but time restrictions apply (2 hours free then you need to move).

On week days it's $4.50 per hour outside the shops in the central CBD.

Public holidays - no charge and no time restriction.

Weekends you get 2 hours free and & hourly rate charging starts again at 8am Monday (unless is public holiday).

So overnight - yes you should be good after the times below (no towing in the Council metered parking spaces throughout the CBD if you abide by the rules below). Private car parks are the ones that tow if you don't buy a ticket I believe.

Time restrictions only apply during on-street parking hours.

Council run on-street parking hours:

Monday - Thursday: 8am - 6pm

Friday: 8am - 8pm

Saturday & Sunday : 8am - 6pm (No fee required; however, time restriction applies)

Public holidays (No time limit or charge applies)

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
9,573 posts
220 reviews
3. Re: Parking

Not sure I'd want responsibility for a car parked overnight on the street in the CBD. There is a reason there are plenty of parks at that time.

1 post
4. Re: Parking

That's a challenge you'd be setting yourself.

After a chat with friends we think better answer is NO. However it is 'doable' with a proviso or two.

There will be the odd spots but they could be few and far between.

Taking the Terrace as an example. One half is metered and the other residents only. Bearing in mind ZorroNewZealand's post you have those restrictions to bear in mind. You'd have to find a park on lower end of The Terrace only. Then if there were none you might end up quite a walk away. When my friend was living on The Terrace I'd usually end up parking l at a non-metered spot at Salamanca Road.

Lambton Quay itself has very few spots. Just off Lambton Quay are places like Brandon Street, Waring Taylor Street and, running parallel, Featherston Street. Have a look at a map to get the flavour.

To NZMike57's post. There aren't plenty of parks at that time. A lot of people live within, and visit, the CBD. Within the areas that iquiax mentioned car security is decent. Is being parked there overnight a risk? Not much. I often do usually in Brandon Street. With the usual precautions you'd take with any on street parking in New Zealand

To make this work you'll have to be both focussed and disciplined. ;-)

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
81 posts
80 reviews
5. Re: Parking

thanks guys

Wellington...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: Parking

I often park overnight in town if we are staying in a hotel and have never had a problem.. so long as you are gone by the time the parking meters kick in in the morning. I have parked a number of times at night on the terrace, and also down around upper willis st / Dixon st etc,

Reply to: Parking
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted