We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1hr. Connection in Wellington - No Checked Bags - Doable?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
322 posts
Save Topic
1hr. Connection in Wellington - No Checked Bags - Doable?

Hi folks!

I'm arriving on a Singapore Airlines flight at 5:10pm and am thinking of booking a connecting flight to Queenstown at 6:10 (Jetstar). Unfortunately the later flights are quite prohibitively expensive. I will not be checking any bags

I understand Wellington is well designed and small airport but 1 hour certainly seems like quite a short amount of time.

Given there are no delays, is this connection possible?

16 replies to this topic
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
36,385 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1hr. Connection in Wellington - No Checked Bags - Doable?

I think you'd be very lucky to get through CQI in under 45min - 1 hr. It may be a small airport, but that sometimes means it is less well equipped to handle a big plane load of arrivals. You would then need to be at the gate of the Jetstar plane before 5:40pm. They close the gates 30 min before departure.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
322 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 1hr. Connection in Wellington - No Checked Bags - Doable?

Thanks for the advice. I may have to fork out the 100% markup for the 9pm flight in this case it seems....

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,636 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1hr. Connection in Wellington - No Checked Bags - Doable?

Jetstar will leave you behind if you are even 1 second late to check-in.

Compare the cost of Jetstar with Air NZ - I always fly Air NZ over Jetstar.

Check Air NZ Grabaseat (official Air NZ discount fares).

Best of luck :)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
322 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 1hr. Connection in Wellington - No Checked Bags - Doable?

Never heard of grabaseat. Thanks

Are these usually cheaper last minute?

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
3,890 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1hr. Connection in Wellington - No Checked Bags - Doable?

Nope, I wouldn't even consider it.

1. It could easily take more than 30mins to clear immigration and customs

2. What if your international flight is delayed? (Which can be common at Wgtn)

3. Jetstar is notorious for being unreliable - flights delayed/canceled, very strict....

What time of year are you flying?

Is the actually a 9pm flight to Queenstown? Really? I couldn't find it in a quick search. I query because flights are not allowed in/out of Queenstown after 10pm (residential area noise pollution). And a 9pm departure would probably be cutting it fine for QTN.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,636 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1hr. Connection in Wellington - No Checked Bags - Doable?

Grabaseat sells seats at a discount - there is a set number of seats in each price bracket. The earlier you purchase the better the deal. Last minute seats are whatever is left - usually at full price.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
142 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1hr. Connection in Wellington - No Checked Bags - Doable?

Agree - it's too tight, as you only have 30 min to get through immigration and customs (which isn't a case of just walking through, as New Zealand's biosecurity laws are very strict) and make it to the Jetstar counter.

To answer your other question, it's almost always cheaper to buy flights in New Zealand as early as you can (especially to popular destinations like Queenstown) than to wait for last minute prices. The airlines sell their cheapest fares first and last-minute discounting isn't routine. Grabaseat (AirNZ) is good and worth looking at, but a bit random as to destinations and dates.

California
Level Contributor
9,142 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1hr. Connection in Wellington - No Checked Bags - Doable?

JetStar's carry-on bag limit is 7kg and must fit in the overhead locker. Dimensions not to exceed 48cm (height) x 34cm (width) x 23cm (depth).

That translates to roughly 15lbs and 19"x13"x9".

These dimensions will probably be smaller than your SQ carry-on allowance.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
8,085 posts
443 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1hr. Connection in Wellington - No Checked Bags - Doable?

Where are you seated on the plane? If you seated at front and one of first to get off, the plane lands on time, and you dont have to be bus shuttled from landing spot, and no other flights land about the same time you may make it. However, its not worth the stress and risk.

Firstly, jetstar are very unreliable and cancel flights frequently. They shut off check in 30 mins before and thats it. They cancelled my daughters flight. it was full and told her couldnt get her on another flight for 25 hours. And then a month later and still havent given refund. And we know of many people who have spent hours and hours trying to get refunds. They are cheap - but jetstar work out bring expensive when they cancel flights and you have to book s last minute flight with Air nz.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
347 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1hr. Connection in Wellington - No Checked Bags - Doable?

Don't forget that it will take time to clear immigration, customs and border bio-security as this is an International flight coming from Singapore - with no checked bags to pick up once they get to the carousel that could take 30 -45mins, then you have to get from the International Arrivals to the departure gate (should take approx 5 min). and finally you have to go through security at the gate, which can get busy as there is a Christchurch Jetstar flight about the same time & only the one scanner to pass through. I'd be hesitant even with a two hour connection.

Did you consider flying into Christchurch with Singapore Airlines rather than Wellington?

You could then fly onto Queenstown - or drive (after sufficient rest to overcome jet-lag of course)

Reply to: 1hr. Connection in Wellington - No Checked Bags - Doable?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Wellington