We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Auckland to Wellington Drive route and stops

Singapore, Singapore
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Auckland to Wellington Drive route and stops

Hi Tripadvisors,

I'm driving with a teen from Auckland to Wellington over two days and would love some advice on where to stop en route and what to see. The plan is to arrive in Auckland on a Monday morning, start the drive on Tuesday, stop somewhere that night and arrive in Wellington by the evening of the Wednesday. Any suggestions welcome!

25 replies to this topic
Singapore, Singapore
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
21. Re: Auckland to Wellington Drive route and stops

Yes I am. :(

Tauranga, New...
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Auckland to Wellington Drive route and stops

Are you sure that's not only if you forfeit the flight without telling them? I have forfeited a domestic flight (obviously without refund) but because I've let them know this, future flights (international) haven't been cancelled. This was on Air NZ though.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
15,018 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Auckland to Wellington Drive route and stops

I'll do my best to drive but I've just learned that Qantas won't allow me to take subsequent flights if I opt out of that one leg from Auck to Well!

===============

It's pretty standard in the airline business to forfeit flights if they're not all taken in the order they're booked (if on the same ticket).

Known as Hidden City Ticketing. More about it in this Traveller Article from the Air Travel Forum:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g41707-c2…

Singapore, Singapore
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
24. Re: Auckland to Wellington Drive route and stops

Thank you.

I called Qantas to alert them of this but they absolutely refused to allow this unless I rebook and pay penalties for not taking that leg (of course, I am not asking a refund but ....).

:(

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
15,018 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Auckland to Wellington Drive route and stops

I called Qantas to alert them of this but they absolutely refused to allow this unless I rebook and pay penalties for not taking that leg (of course, I am not asking a refund but ....).

=================

Sounds as if Qantas are willing to reprice the ticket to your new requirements - since you want (need) to break the T&C's of the contract you originally agreed to.

Probably a case of repricing / change fee + difference in fare (or similar).

One thing I've learned from reading the Air Travel forum over the years (some very knowledgeable people over there, although they don't take any prisoners) is that wanting to take a shorter route or cancel, even months in advance, has no bearing on refunds and the ability of an airline to resell seats.

Good luck.

Reply to: Auckland to Wellington Drive route and stops
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Wellington