We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Effects of Homegrown festival on two-night Wellington stay

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
41 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Effects of Homegrown festival on two-night Wellington stay

We will be in Wellington the nights of April 7 and 8, 2018, having taken the ferry from Picton after our driving tour of the South Island and beginning a couple of weeks on the North Island. I discovered last night that a large concert event called Jim Beam Homegrown is scheduled to take place the afternoon and evening of April 7 in the harbor area. I'm curious what this means for our ability to visit downtown sights Saturday afternoon and Sunday, especially Te Papa (which is surrounded by the event stages). Would we be better off staying outside downtown and taking public transportation to the CBD? Or staying downtown so we can walk to whatever we want to see? Will public buses be packed with event-goers? Assuming the event takes place on Saturday the 7th, do the crowds dissipate by Sunday?

I appreciate any input based on experience with the event from previous years.

Mentioned in this post
Wellington
Wellington
Greater Wellington, New Zealand
Picton
Picton
Marlborough Region, New Zealand
South Island
South Island
New Zealand
North Island
North Island
New Zealand
7 replies to this topic
Tauranga, New...
Level Contributor
1,541 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Effects of Homegrown festival on two-night Wellington stay

Stay downtown but over the opposite side of town to the concert. Otherwise, your visit shouldn't be too much affected, but book accommodation now.

If you're in town you'll be able to walk to wherever you want to go, pretty much, and won't need to worry about public transport.

Edited: 28 November 2017, 08:18
Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
41 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Effects of Homegrown festival on two-night Wellington stay

Thank you, tropicalsundae, for this helpful response. This is what I was hoping to learn.

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
4,257 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Effects of Homegrown festival on two-night Wellington stay

And you'll have to bonus of hearing a whole bunch of NZs TOP 'homegrown' singers/ bands/DJs etc

2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Effects of Homegrown festival on two-night Wellington stay

Thanks for raising this question, and if you don't mind, I would like to add a question to your thread. We're booked into At Home on Wakefield Street on 7th and 8th April so now I'm wondering do we need to move for a good night's sleep. How late before the music stops?

Mentioned in this post
At Home Wellington
At Home Wellington
847 Reviews
Wellington, New Zealand
Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
41 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Effects of Homegrown festival on two-night Wellington stay

Obviously I don't know from experience, but the Homegrown website says it runs from 1:00 to 11:00pm.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
6,692 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Effects of Homegrown festival on two-night Wellington stay

And they do stick to the advertised time pretty well, due to noise control requirements.

2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Effects of Homegrown festival on two-night Wellington stay

Thank you both. That's very helpful.

Reply to: Effects of Homegrown festival on two-night Wellington stay
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted