We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christchurch to Collingwood.

Pacifica, CA
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Christchurch to Collingwood.

Ok maybe I've lived in San Francisco too long, but I'm buggered if I can remember ever really working out if it was quicker from Chch to Collingwood via Springs Junction (assuming cutting over to Motueka at Kohatu), or via Blenheim.

The Blenheim way always seems like you carry a higher average speed, but trucks and camper vans can stuff it up.

Through the Lewis weather can slow you right down, and there are more twists, especially along the Buller and from Kohatu to Mot'.

I'm over there next week - anyone here figure out what's better these days?

Cheers!

Mentioned in this post
Motueka
Motueka
Nelson-Tasman Region, New Zealand
Blenheim
Blenheim
Marlborough Region, New Zealand
Nelson, NZ
Level Contributor
120 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christchurch to Collingwood.

Driving Christchurch to Nelson we think there is nothing in it although our GPS always wants us to go through the Lewis. Going to Collingwood we would say the Lewis is quicker - weather permitting of course.

Mentioned in this post
Christchurch
Christchurch
Canterbury Region, New Zealand
Nelson
Nelson
Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
Level Contributor
4,617 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christchurch to Collingwood.

.....well you can give yourself a good variation by going up the coastal route then cutting up the Wairau Valley (deviate into the Nelson Lakes ) come down thru the Golden downs roads to Kohatu Pub and Tapawera.

I often use this to give the scenic genes a rush.

Mentioned in this post
Nelson
Nelson
Pacifica, CA
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christchurch to Collingwood.

Yeah that's a good call I considered, and I've done it a few times to visit some friends up the Onamalutu, but I'm wondering what's the quickest.

We're flying SF-Sydney (14 hours) than a 13 hour sit in the airport, another 4 to Chch to arrive at midnight, an hour for customs and immigration, maybe 5 hours sleep then picking up a rental, over to Birghton to see the rellies, than up to Collingwood. So it's a long few days no matter what, and I'd just like to hit Golden Bay before dark if I can.

My thinking is the coast road is (or was) more consistently quick, but maybe traffic has upped the last few years? It's probably still much of a muchness, traffic on the coast and weather up the Lewis.

Heading back to down (to Hororata) we've got all day so it'll be the scenic route for sure. Maybe the inland Kaikoura, maybe off to Reefton for some Monteiths.

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
Golden Bay
Golden Bay
Kaikoura
Kaikoura
Canterbury Region, New Zealand
Pacifica, CA
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christchurch to Collingwood.

Cheers cajeNelson, that pretty much confirms what I thought. It hasn't changed then! I used to take wherever the better weather was, so I'll do that.

Thank you!

Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
Level Contributor
4,617 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christchurch to Collingwood.

Holy moley....thats going two back to go one forward in the Air plane stakes.......surely into jafa land/Auckland is the go unless the airpoints preclude it.

If you are up to it jump the train at Sydney airport straight into town and get off at Wynyard Station for an optic nerve.

Mentioned in this post
Auckland
Auckland
North Island, New Zealand
Nelson, NZ
Level Contributor
120 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christchurch to Collingwood.

Not sure when you last did the trip but the speed limits are very strictly enforced and the road through the Lewis has improved so that is probably why we think it is quicker. Mind you, the je part is a born and bred Nelsonian so anything to do with Blenheim will always come down the list.

Mentioned in this post
Blenheim
Blenheim
Marlborough Region, New Zealand
Pacifica, CA
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christchurch to Collingwood.

Yep Mausgrass it's a long one, but that's the way it is these days when you buy tickets with miles accrued. They used to put us on the SF-Auk flight, now they throw us on the cheapest one they can.

Pacifica, CA
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Christchurch to Collingwood.

Cheers caje, yep I'm a Blenheimer myself so I usually try to catch a glimpse of the old stomping grounds.

Bu tit sounds like it hasn't changed much - it's 6 of one and half a dozen on the other. That's what I really neded to know: whether anything had changed recently.

Like I said in my original post, I never figured out what was quicker back when I did it a few times a year, so I guess it's an argument that's still current!

9. Re: Christchurch to Collingwood.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2010, 13:16