We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fifa World Cup

Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
32 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Fifa World Cup

I’ll be in Christchurch for England’s 2nd group game in the World Cup on the 29th June, will any bars/pubs be open to watch the match at 6am? I know it’s a bit of a longshot...

8 replies to this topic
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
38,927 posts
432 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fifa World Cup

Almost certain to be several, but you have go in disguise ( as a red & black supporter accidentally in the wrong pub!) we are one-eyed rugby supporters down here.

Try the Carlton on the corner of Papanui & Bealey, or #4 Mansefield Ave in Merivale, or Aikmans also in Merivale.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
9,100 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fifa World Cup

You might need to get an invite to a special clandestine showing, such is our love of Rugby :) Perhaps listen for non kiwi accents :)

Chester,England
Level Contributor
1,267 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fifa World Cup

Brad,

Don't let on that you are an England fan, the Kiwis will be unmerciful when they come to their usual sticky end.

( I know what suffering is, having been a Newcastle supporter all my life!)

Edited: 10 June 2018, 21:19
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
38,927 posts
432 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fifa World Cup

Haddaway, the “Kiwis” are our rugby league team. The soccer team are called the All Whites.

I don’t think they even get an invite to the football World Cup, due to some underhand dealing with regard to zones. We used to have to only have to beat Australia for the one place for Oceania & now we have beat half of Asia as well.

Chester,England
Level Contributor
1,267 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fifa World Cup

Zuhai,

I was referring to the New Zealand people when I put Kiwis.

1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Fifa World Cup

Pegasus Arms - google it and you can then register for a free ticket to any of the games (licensing laws mean it has to be a special event that you have a ticket for) I went for the miserable Euro tourny nuff said! Not bad and a few like-minded souls

Christchurch, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Fifa World Cup

Good luck on that. I am a Brazilian living in Chrischurch where it's all about rugby. I can't find anywhere to watch the games either

Christchurch, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Fifa World Cup

Yes, you are luck. Pegasus Arms is showing England games

Reply to: Fifa World Cup
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted