We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Milford Sound self drive experience

singapore
Level Contributor
254 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Milford Sound self drive experience

We traveled in early June where there are snow aplenty up the mountains. Stayed at Te Anau for 2 nights to self drive to Milford. For those whom are deciding to self drive, better to check the Milford Sound road website to know the road conditions, whether snow chains are required. I checked both the road condition site & weather forecast to get a better feel of how it is going to be.

We drove in on a cloudy & sunny day, road was good with sections with warning signs of black ice. It is not as a difficult drive as many had warned. Yes a couple of windy roads with some elevation, so just drive slowly if no confidence. A couple of pitstops along the way to rest yourself.

As many has suggested, leave earlier to avoid traffic.

We were in winter month, so daylight from 9 to 5pm only. We left at 8am from Te Anau & reached Milford cruise center at about 1045am. Did short stops in between.

As weather was cloudy, foggy during the start of the journey, mirror lakes & Elington were not ideal.

I booked the cruise ship from Bookme, cheaper deals if u able to grab the right time. $50 pax for cruise on Mitre Cruise, smaller ship which can get closer to some of the falls.

The bigger ones have meals servings on board but have to pay extra.

My advice is if u like to save money, pack some sandwiches/meal & drinks to eat on board the cruise.

The hilite of the journey is near to Homers tunnel, where you will be surrounded by majestic snow capped mountains.

Thus self drive is possible with bit of luck and confidence. But go ahead to pay for coaches if u like to just sit back & enjoy the trip/view w/o worries.

Mentioned in this post
Te Anau
Te Anau
Fiordland National Park, New Zealand
Milford Sound
Milford Sound
4,715 Reviews
Te Anau, New Zealand
2 replies to this topic
Tauranga, New...
Level Contributor
1,523 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Milford Sound self drive experience

Oh boy.

singapore
Level Contributor
254 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Milford Sound self drive experience

In fact if u do drive to Genting Highlands in Malaysia or Cameron highlands, Milford drive is comparable, easier than Cameron, other than the uncertainties of snow & ice on the roads, where u will need snow chains to access.

Its not as scary as I have thought. I did see on certain days, snow chains were required from the Milford Sound NZ road site.U can loan chains in Te Anau, pretty pricey & u still need to know how to install them on ur wheels.

So check the Milford Sound weather forecast, if mostly cloudy & sunny days.....should be safer that road would be fine w/o needs of snow chains.

Mentioned in this post
Milford Sound
Milford Sound
4,715 Reviews
Te Anau, New Zealand
Te Anau
Te Anau
Fiordland National Park, New Zealand
Reply to: Milford Sound self drive experience
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted