We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Farm stay + Theme Parks

SG
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Farm stay + Theme Parks

Hi all,

we are planning a week's itinerary for 4 adults and 4 children (age 3, to 7) in Gold Coast in June. This is what we have drafted, would love to hear from any experts out there :)

Day 1 : Arrive at Gold Coast Airport at 9am local time. Collect cars and drive up to farmstay at either WittaCork or Solothurn Rural Resort for 2 nights farmstay.

Visit Australia Zoo in Maleny while at the stay?

Day 3 : Check out farmstay and drive towards Surfers Paradise for 4 nights stay (accommodation yet to be confirmed).

Visit Harbour Town Shopping Mall along the way?

Day 4: Full Day at Sea World

Day 5 : Full Day at Movie World

Day 6 : No plans yet, any recommendations?

Day 7 : Check out hotel and proceed to Airport.

Australia
Level Contributor
4,089 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Farm stay + Theme Parks

If you don't mind me asking, is there a particular reason why you've chosen farmstays that are in Maleny? The reason why I ask is because there are certainly some farmstays closer to the GC, but, Australia Zoo certainly does get largely very positive reviews here on TA.

For your GC accommodation, don't forget that you don't have to stay in Surfers Paradise. For families, Broadbeach (just before SP) is usually recommended around here, but, of course, staying in SP means you're within walking distance to some tourist sights/attractions like SkyPoint, etc. It's worth checking out apartments, as you'll have kitchen facilities, etc.

A lot of people do seem to like Harbourtown, so, if you're in that area, it may be worth checking out.

If you're going to both Seaworld and Movieworld, it's worth looking at the passes (also purchasing passes online is cheaper than in-person at the gates of the theme parks), instead of purchasing individual tickets for each person, as that usually works out to be more expensive. You can see the passes here (allows unlimited entry into Seaworld, Movieworld and Wet 'n' Wild - valid until the end of June 2012): http://myfun.com.au/big3/VIP-pass.aspx

I'm not sure if you're interested in visiting the national parks or not, but, you may like to consider Tamborine Mountains with the Skywalk: http://myfun.com.au/big3/VIP-pass.aspx or Springbrook National Park with Natural Arch/Bridge and the glow worms, etc.

Good luck with your planning and have a GREAT time on the GC! :)

SG
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Farm stay + Theme Parks

Hi! Thanks for your advice! We are considering farms in Maleny because the original farms that we wanted in GC (Dilydale Farmstay) is fully booked but we just got lucky because another farm that I enquired in GC, Cedar Glen has reverted that they have available accommodation for us. So we will most probably be staying there instead. :) Do you have any comments on Cedar Glen?

Skypoint and Tamborine Mountain sound interesting! I will check it out now.

Also, we are planning to rent a car for the entire week we are there, I've checked Europcar and Thrifty and they seems to quote the lowest for the type of car we want. Any comments on either company too? Thanks!

Australia
Level Contributor
4,089 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Farm stay + Theme Parks

I haven't been to Cedar Glen before, but, from the reviews here on TA, it seems to be a very nice place. There seems to be largely very positive reviews, which is definitely good news! It's worth giving the reviews: tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g494981-c3-Beaudesert… a read through, if you haven't already done so.

Cedar Glen would certainly be a lot closer than Maleny. I think this is a "better" option because, after such a long flight (unless, you're not coming directly from Singapore?), driving a shorter distance is probably better for everyone. Of course, if you don't have any problems with driving, then, you shouldn't encounter any problems if you'd rather stick with farmstays in Maleny. I definitely do recommend bringing/hiring a GPS though, as it may be very handy!

If you go to Skypoint, only go on a day with the clearest skies, as that will offer you some great views of the whole coastline. Don't go if there's poor weather, as the scenic views won't be as nice. Sorry, I gave you the wrong link for the Skywalk, which should be: www.rainforestskywalk.com.au/ I should mention though that there are may free walking routes in all of the national parks, so, not everyone is impressed by the Rainforest Sky Walk at Tamborine Mountain (as you need to pay). The walking routes in Springbrook National Park are quite easy to walk, for example, and there's parking close by.

Have you already worked out your accommodation? If you haven't, you might like to check out sites like www.wotif.com/ or www.hotels.com/ or www.booking.com/ and any others you're familiar with (including the hotel's own website prices) to get a list, so, you can compare prices, and check up on reviews, before making your bookings.

Both are large companies, so, you hopefully shouldn't have too many issues. I'm not sure what kind of vehicle you're after, but, if you want to look at recommendations for other car rental companies, this thread might be useful: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g255072-i762-k4811… With all car rentals though, I definitely recommend that you closely inspect the car for any evident scratches/etc. and have them documented with the staff member, before you drive off, as you certainly do not want to be charged extra for "damage" that you did not create.

Good luck with your planning and have an AMAZING trip! :)

Edited: 03 May 2012, 14:57
4. Re: Farm stay + Theme Parks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 20:41