We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mildura Cricket tour/sight seeing

2 posts
Save Topic
Mildura Cricket tour/sight seeing

We are planning to visit Australia from 21st to 31st Dec. Would be landing in Melbourne and than off to Mildura.

We intend to play cricket.

We could visit attractions nearby every alternate day. Kindly advise attractions.

And than last 3-4 days we could explore more of Australia, advise on that as well.

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Mildura
Mildura
Victoria, Australia
3-Night Murray River Cruise by...
1 Review
from US$725.90*
4-Night Murray River Cruise by...
3 Reviews
from US$992.90*
Daily 2 hour Cruise
from US$22.60*
Free Cancellation
7 replies to this topic
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
8,713 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mildura Cricket tour/sight seeing

Ok .....who are you play cricket with ?

Good Luck

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
4,251 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mildura Cricket tour/sight seeing

Mildura grows the best oranges in the world. Try some roadside stalls for the freshest and cheapest.

The mighty Murray River flows through Mildura. You could take a ride on a paddle steamer.

In 3-4 days you're not going to get very far if travelling by car. You could get to Adelaide if you don't have to come back

Mentioned in this post
Mildura
Mildura
Victoria, Australia
Murray River
Murray River
149 Reviews
New South Wales, Australia
Adelaide
Adelaide
Greater Adelaide, Australia
Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
3,411 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mildura Cricket tour/sight seeing

Why Mildura? Is it an organised tournament or something?

Mildura in late December is likely to be hot. I assume you'll have a car. Things to see are Mungo NP, paddlesteamer trip on the Murray River, day trip to Swan Hill Pioneer Village, perhaps a trip to Hattah Kulkyne NP. There are some nice safe swimming beaches along the Murray - check with the locals to find out where they are because the Murray can be treacherous.

Your last 3 or 4 days should be spent in Victoria, doing a road trip back to Melbourne. I'd head south through Warracknabeal to Halls Gap and spend 2 nights there, then down to the GOR and a night in Port Campbell followed by a night in Apollo Bay or Lorne. You could manage with only one night in HG (because Mildura to Port Campbell is an incredibly long day, you'll want to break the journey somewhere) but 2 nights is better. If this appeals to you, you need to start looking for accommodation now, because this is our peak holiday period.

Other options in Victoria include Echuca, Bendigo, Ballarat. I think the north-east (Beechworth, Bright) may be a bit far with limited time.

Mentioned in this post
Mildura
Mildura
Victoria, Australia
Murray River
Murray River
149 Reviews
New South Wales, Australia
Victoria
Victoria
Australia
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Halls Gap
Halls Gap
Grampians, Australia
Port Campbell
Port Campbell
Victoria, Australia
Apollo Bay
Apollo Bay
Victoria, Australia
Lorne
Lorne
Victoria, Australia
Echuca
Echuca
Victoria, Australia
Bendigo
Bendigo
Greater Bendigo, Australia
Ballarat
Ballarat
Victoria, Australia
Beechworth
Beechworth
Victoria, Australia
Bright
Bright
Victoria, Australia
Tuggeranong...
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
17,545 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mildura Cricket tour/sight seeing

Is there anything relevant you need to tell us about number of people or transport you will be using?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,273 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mildura Cricket tour/sight seeing

Mildura is a 6 hour drive from Melbourne. You really need a car to get there and get around. It will be hot as peak summer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mildura

https://www.visitmildura.com.au/

Australia is a big country - why not spend the other 3/4 days in Bendio/Ballarat 1 night and other nights in Melbourne ?

Edited: 09 December 2017, 07:15
Mentioned in this post
Mildura
Mildura
Victoria, Australia
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Ballarat
Ballarat
Victoria, Australia
Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
4,703 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mildura Cricket tour/sight seeing

There is a big cricket tournament in Mildura during this period so that would be why OP is coming here. It has been growing over many years and now attracts players from India, UK etc.

I live in Mildura and that time of year can be incredibly hot. We always have visitors first week in Jan and temps can be in the 40’s every day. Make sure you drink heaps of water and wear a hat and sunscreen all the time.

We are pretty much in the middle of nowhere but there are some lovely things to do and great places to eat.

I took some family on a kayaking tour with https://moontongue.com.au it was a very hot day (about 43 I think) but most of the kayaking was in the shade and it was a lovely experience. I am not affiliated with them at all, just a really enjoyable afternoon.

A paddlesteamer ride is always good fun and interesting. Trentham Estate Winery is right on the river and you can have lunch on the lawn with a bottle of wine. There is a new cafe on the main riverfront at the rowers club which is lovely and the whole area has been revamped. If you like walking/jogging the paths have all been redone there.

If Aboriginal history is of interest the incredible Mungo National Park is worth a visit. You have to do a tour I believe.

If you are playing cricket in the heat I imagine that your days off might really need to be rest days so you could just chill by the river or pool.

Mentioned in this post
Mildura
Mildura
Victoria, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Mildura Cricket tour/sight seeing

Willowfest tournament

Reply to: Mildura Cricket tour/sight seeing
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted