We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Darwin campervan in July for Kakadu, Lichfield, Mataranka

Austria
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Darwin campervan in July for Kakadu, Lichfield, Mataranka

Hello everyone,

We are planning a holiday in the top end for 2 weeks in July visiting Kakadu, Katherine, Mataranka, Lichfield and possibly Lake argyle if time permits.

I have looked at 4WD camper rentals but I am wondering if a Campervan might be more comfortable and easier as we will be moving around a lot. Britz and Maui seem to be the safer bet, as I see many bad stories from cheaper companies.

1. Can you people offer any advice as to whether a campervan would be OK for these places, or is it definitely better with a 4WD ?

2. Will a campervan be stuffy at night if we are at a powerless site? I have never stayed in one before so I am really clueless if this is a problem. We would be hiring a 4 berth as there is 3 of us.

3. If we take a small tent to sleep out under the stars for a couple of nights, is it possible to take the mattress out of the camper to do this? Just a thought.

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to any tips. :)

Mentioned in this post
Kakadu National Park
Kakadu National Park
Top End, Australia
Katherine
Katherine
Top End, Australia
Mataranka
Mataranka
Top End, Australia
3 replies to this topic
Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
6,511 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Darwin campervan in July for Kakadu, Lichfield, Mataranka

A normal camper will only be allowed on sealed roads, which rules you out of Gunlom , Jim Jim in Kakadu and a few places and good campsites in LiTchfield.

It depends on what you want, if you just want to tick off places and happy to not have some adventure get the camper. You will maybe need powered sites to charge if you dont drive much on a particular day. It gets cool at night in July maybe 15-20 , but three in a camper gets stuffy - as I would not leave doors open etc. Some campers have screens on windows etc.

I would choose a 4wd any time- have you driven one before though ? They are the source of crashes for people who have no experience in driving them, coupled with higher speed and lack of knowledge of road conditions.

I would even just use tents all the time. You may find that is cheaper to get a BRITZ 4wd and use tents. But it depends on if you like camping, want a toilet on bard etc etc etc

You will need to check if you can take the vehicle out of the NT to WA. it is a good day drive to Kununurra from Katherine , so do allow enough time and not rush that road.

I wouldn't think a van mattress will fit in a small tent.

Mentioned in this post
Kakadu National Park
Kakadu National Park
Top End, Australia
Katherine
Katherine
Top End, Australia
Austria
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Darwin campervan in July for Kakadu, Lichfield, Mataranka

Thanks hamriver,

I have driven 4WDs before but nothing serious. I know a 4WD would be more versatile to be able to explore, but it's a lot more work right?!

The Maui vans seem to have insect screens but I will have to check.

We will do a tour to Gunlom / Jim Jim so that won't be an issue.

I appreciate your advice... I'm a bit torn and it's not easy when we have never been to the NT.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
6,511 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Darwin campervan in July for Kakadu, Lichfield, Mataranka

If you plan on a tour in Kakadu then I would say go for the campervan. It is just as easy as there are many cap grounds. But do your research and don't skimp on the cheaper ones.

The weather will be perfect then - however I am not sure about your power needs for charging etc. There are plenty of campgrounds -commercial ones where you will pay probably about $70 per night plus for a powered site. Be aware though as it is peak tourist season, you should book the key ones as those sites are popular.

I personally would hate to drive one of those big campers as they are cumbersome- however, there are many travelling around the territory at that same time. I love to camp and get out in our 4wd and away from the masses :}

You will have a perfectly great trip in a 2wd camper.

Here are some good links

NT ROAD REPORT on facebook

https:/…driving-safety-checklist

Happy to help with more planning .

Mentioned in this post
Kakadu National Park
Kakadu National Park
Top End, Australia
Reply to: Darwin campervan in July for Kakadu, Lichfield, Mataranka
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;