We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two week itinerary

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
876 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Two week itinerary

We are planning a two week trip at the end of July and had planned to fly in and out of Darwin, hire a car, do some tours and spending the time at the "main attractions".

Others have now told us that we should be including Alice, Uluru etc in that time frame. We prefer not rushing and spending time " stopping to smell the roses"

Is two weeks too long to spend doing Darwin etc?

We would appreciate your suggested itineraries, must dos, great tours and accommodation .

Thank you so much.

Mentioned in this post
Darwin
Darwin
Top End, Australia
4 replies to this topic
Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
6,507 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two week itinerary

If you include Alice and Uluru area the minimum time you would need for that area is 7 days in my opinion. The best part of the Alice area are the walks in the East and West Macs, which ideally is a 2+ days depending on how much you like walking. Alice for a day max, Hermannsburg, Uluru and KC 3-4 days.

Darwin 2 nights

Litchfield 1 night

Kakadu 2-3 nights

Katherine 2-3 nights

There are also day trips to the Tiwi on Sealink which is a beautiful way to get to the Tiwis.

Have a read of all the posts in the Top end thread as there are lots of ideas for you to start with.

Generally flights from the east coast arrive and depart around midday, so you lose 1/2 days easily.

Many people only allocate 4-5 days to see all the above and then realise that you cant actually see everything other than the surface. You cant see the NT from a bus window, it's a get out and do type location.

Also, maybe give us a few more hints about accom you would like to see and budget as otherwise we are all guesisng. Are you self drive/ 4wd/ 2wd etc

Edited: 11 June 2018, 16:00
Mentioned in this post
Darwin
Darwin
Top End, Australia
Kakadu National Park
Kakadu National Park
Top End, Australia
Katherine
Katherine
Top End, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
876 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two week itinerary

Thanks for your reply.

My husband would prefer not to go to Alice and Uluru this time, so will 2 weeks be too long?

We have not booked anything yet but are researching and making plans.

Waiting for NT Tourism to send info to me.

Yes, we will self drive and depends on cost what we choose.

Our budget is mid range, although even budget accommodation isn't "cheap."

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
6,507 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two week itinerary

What type of info are you after from Tourism NT ?

With 14 Days it will actually end up being 12 proper full days with flights in and out given my above info about arrival times.

You could also add on a night or two at Mataranka to go to the hot springs , caves.

A day trip to Tiwi would be good

Add the above itinerary and then you will have enough to fill our time easily.

Do you like walking ? There is plenty to see in Litchfield that will fill two days as well .

You could also do a fishing day trip if thats your thing.

Mentioned in this post
Mataranka
Mataranka
Top End, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
876 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Two week itinerary

Excellent. Just what I wanted. Thanks so much.

I contacted the NT tourism just as a resource to get my research started in conjunction with all that I can learn from this wonderful forum.

Reply to: Two week itinerary
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;